Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
In lieu of velcro ...

I posted this information in another thread, but decided it deserved a thread of its own.

I was using sticky back velcro to keep my Kindle attached to a third party case that I purchased.

The problem was that the velcro kept coming unstuck from the case (it seemed to stick fine to the Kindle ... but just not so well to the case).

So, today I gave 3M Command picture hangers a try. I think I much prefer them over the velcro. First and foremost because they are easy to remove when you decide you no longer want them. But, the adhesive seems to hold on to the case much more effectively.

Also, you hear this nice click when the tabs are pressed together ... so you know that the Kindle is attached. However, since the tabs don't stick together, it's really easy to see where to pry the pieces apart if you want to remove the book from the cover.

So .... if you are looking for yet another option ... there it is ...
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
shieldlp
shieldlp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Velcro -- the right kind.

I use Velcro to hold many items where they don't like to be held. The best Velcro to use is "Industrial" Velcro.

This Velcro has a much improved adhesive that will stick to permanently to most surfaces including taut fabric. The "hook" side of the product is manufactured with a short tight hook that is much flatter than standard Velcro.

I had big issues with my Kindle projecting itself out of the standard case while reading in bed. I am crippled so reading in bed in absolutely required.

I used the Loop Velcro on the extreme right (with screen side up) side of the case and the Hook Velcro on the suede(?) cover over the reinforcing bar.

To assure good adhesion on the case, I shaved the "fur" from the area using a single-edged razor blade.

Works like a champ.
shieldlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shieldlp View Post
I use Velcro to hold many items where they don't like to be held. The best Velcro to use is "Industrial" Velcro.

This Velcro has a much improved adhesive that will stick to permanently to most surfaces including taut fabric. The "hook" side of the product is manufactured with a short tight hook that is much flatter than standard Velcro.

I had big issues with my Kindle projecting itself out of the standard case while reading in bed. I am crippled so reading in bed in absolutely required.

I used the Loop Velcro on the extreme right (with screen side up) side of the case and the Hook Velcro on the suede(?) cover over the reinforcing bar.

To assure good adhesion on the case, I shaved the "fur" from the area using a single-edged razor blade.

Works like a champ.
The only reason that I prefer the 3M product is because it is very easy to remove (should you wish to sell your device), but still holds well.

Other than that ... velcro is a great product.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
cush
Virtual Staggerwing Flier
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle (and an iMac)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shieldlp View Post

Works like a champ.
I can't resist!!! Is that champ or chimp? Looks like the chimp in your avatar is shaving.

I would like to have seen you shaving your Kindle case! Did you use lather?

Seriously, my wife is disabled and loves her Kindle which has allowed her to read again comfortably. I have used Velcro (tm) on both of our Kindles in the standard case and it works just fine.
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post
I can't resist!!! Is that champ or chimp? Looks like the chimp in your avatar is shaving.

I would like to have seen you shaving your Kindle case! Did you use lather?

Seriously, my wife is disabled and loves her Kindle which has allowed her to read again comfortably. I have used Velcro (tm) on both of our Kindles in the standard case and it works just fine.
Well, of course it works fine. It's velcro. The ONLY reason I like the 3M product better is because it is easier to remove if you decide to at a later time.

That's all .... only reason. Never said velcro doesn't work. Just that it can be a pain in the ass to remove from your Kindle if you decide to do that later on. Are we all clear on the concept now??
Old 10-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
...I gave 3M Command picture hangers a try. ...
RickyMaveety--thanks for the tip. What kind of store carries the 3M Command picture hangers?

Thanks in advance,
R.L.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Velcro *shiver* If I ever get something like a new cover or such, I wukk NEVER use velcro. I just can't stand the sound of tearing velcro. Silly, I know, and I have no idea why, nails on a blackboard, fine, no problem. But not velcro!

So I think I need to see if I can find those 3M thingys over here.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote