Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-02-2006, 05:24 AM   #1
Janus
Janus began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Comics on the iLiad

I wanted to see how well the iLiad could handle a comic, using the available tools so I made a small test. You can download it here.

I am pretty happy with the result, it shows the potentional that the iLiad can be used to view comics, only a decent viewer and a good format are needed.

What do you guys think about it ?
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Ya, I did a couple small tests along these lines already.

The main problem that I had was the scaling of the comic pictures.

Usually, some of the lines were scaled into invisibility or the text became too small to read.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2006, 05:53 AM   #3
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I did some similar tests (specifically with Manga) and they came through fine.

It was one of the reasons I brought thr iLiad.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:07 AM   #4
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
So, what is the current 'good' format? If I have a bunch of jpgs for a comic, should I make lots of htmls? or should I combine them in a pdfs?

How is the page turn done?
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:11 AM   #5
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
you could use Irfanviews Thumbnailer to create a Index-HTML and Pages for each Image (which include prev, next and overview links).

I think to use the pageflip-bar you would have to make a manifest.xml including every image-page. The Irex documentation shows you how to create a manifest.xml in detail.

http://www.irextechnologies.com/downloads/docs
"How to make content for your iLiad (pdf)" - page 16 and following.

Last edited by b_k; 08-02-2006 at 06:15 AM.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2006, 06:17 AM   #6
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuman
So, what is the current 'good' format? If I have a bunch of jpgs for a comic, should I make lots of htmls? or should I combine them in a pdfs?

How is the page turn done?
I think the easiest would be to make a pdf with one/various comics/mangas.

I usually make a pdf with four volumes of manga (600-800 pages) to less than 128 megas.

Manga works pretty well except in some rare cases. Comics usually are a little more complicated since they are in color and in a bigger size, so the final grayscale images might have little contrast, and small font size...
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:28 AM   #7
tofuman
Enthusiast

Sorry for my ignorance, but can you make the pdf of the comics using OpenOffice? I'm trying to build one but having difficulty importing pictures and arranging them.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #8
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuman
Sorry for my ignorance, but can you make the pdf of the comics using OpenOffice? I'm trying to build one but having difficulty importing pictures and arranging them.
here is a testfile i've created with openoffice. pagesize is 12x15cm (needs adjustment, since there are white spaces left on the page). the pictures have been inserted 'by hand' (menu > insert > picture). then click on the 'export to pdf' button ... done.

importing the images one after the other can be annoying with large comics.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test.pdf (520.2 KB, 574 views)
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Would anyone be willing to post pictures of the results?

I have a big stack of "Knights of the Dinner Table" taking up obscene amounts of shelf space I'd like to do something about
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #10
tofuman
Enthusiast

But many of my manga collection run up to 1000 pages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvoi666
here is a testfile i've created with openoffice. pagesize is 12x15cm (needs adjustment, since there are white spaces left on the page). the pictures have been inserted 'by hand' (menu > insert > picture). then click on the 'export to pdf' button ... done.

importing the images one after the other can be annoying with large comics.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
I did some more testing with this. I used the MegaTokyo comics and wrote up a perl script that takes a list of graphic file names and creates all the necessary html files plus the manifest.xml file (see attached).

I'm looking at the resulting content on the iLiad and, while readable, is not that good.

Making a PDF of the same content turned out worse.

It seems like the success of putting comics on the iLiad has more do to with the original graphics, and how closely they match the resolution of the iLiad than anything. Graphics that have small text will be even smaller and, so, won't be very readable.
Attached Files
File Type: txt mkpicbook.txt (2.8 KB, 536 views)
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #12
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
"test.pdf" is readable on iLiad, I croped the pdf file for comparing purpose, but your source jpgs are bit blurred to much, even on TFT is bad quality visible, so text doesn't looks nice on TFT & iLiad.

Have a look at the other pictures, if you like.
Who does love Sam&Max, too?
Digedags is a famous old east German comic & Duck Tales figures speak German also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test01.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	1364   Click image for larger version

Name:	test02.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	1365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manga.jpg
Views:	540