Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Labarum
Enthusiast
Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Overdrive or not?

I live in Southampton City on the south coast of England.

I belong to the Southampton City Library but discovered I was also entitled to Hampshire County Library membership, which was good news because they had a well stocked Overdrive eLibrary. Recently I have discovered that Southampton City has finally got round to establishing an eLibrary - they do not use Overdrive, but a rather clunky system for downloading books to Adobe Digital Editions.

What are the pros and cons of Overdrive from the library's point of view? Is it a cost issue, or simply down to the preferences (or prejudices) of the IT manager.

On the plus side the City Library makes available some magazines via Zinio. That works amazingly well on the Nexus 7 - many magazine articles can be clicked into "Text Mode" where they display much like an eBook.
Labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
On the plus side the City Library makes available some magazines via Zinio. That works amazingly well on the Nexus 7 - many magazine articles can be clicked into "Text Mode" where they display much like an eBook.
I get all of my magazines from Zinio through my libraries. Reading them in regular mode on a 7" tablet is a painful experience. Too much zooming and moving around. But in text mode, it's quite pleasant; especially on a Nexus 7 v2. The text is extremely sharp and very readable in either of the two available font sizes.

That said, I still prefer reading my magazines on a 9" tablet. No zooming required.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
I was just able to borrow my first magazine. I have a Samsung 7" tablet. So far, I am pleased, but I can see how a slightly bigger tablet would be nice. But then my husband's 10" is too heavy for me to hold. I think I will just be mighty happy that I can now get digital magazines from my library.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote