Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Mouhamad Kawas
Mouhamad Kawas began at the beginning.

Device: none
ePUB 3 support

I have been reading the ePUB3 standard and trying every feature on the calibre project, how much the calibre project support ePUB3 and is there any feature was not supported yet.

Do any one make an evaluation about the ePUB3 supporting and try to fix any missing from the standard?

Or, are you planning to support all the features?

thanks for your advice
Mouhamad Kawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are no plans to support epub 3 in calibre. I have far more important things to spend my time on in calibre. But, if you feel like working on epub 3 support, feel free.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Mouhamad Kawas
Mouhamad Kawas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for your reply,
You didn't support ePUB3 at all, or you support some features?
Because i try many ebook in ePUB3 and it's work prefectly.

Can you tell me please why you are not intresting in ePUB3?? is there any better format, sorry about this question but i'm new in ebook and i want to learn from experts, like you.

And What is your next plan for development and how can i help?

Thanks for your advise
Mouhamad Kawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Moved the thread to general calibre forum. The development forum is not the place to ask general questions. Please read the "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING - The purpose of this subforum" sticky post from the top of the Development forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not support epub 3 at all. Features of epub 3 that work, work by accident, not design.

Though given that epub 3 is just a metadata wrapper around html 5 and that calibre fully supports html 5 (since it uses webkit) the set of epub 3 features that calibre's viewer supports by accident is rather large.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouhamad Kawas View Post
Can you tell me please why you are not intresting in ePUB3?? is there any better format, sorry about this question but i'm new in ebook and i want to learn from experts, like you.
There are no reading devices which support ePub3 yet, so there would be no point in Calibre supporting it. What would you read the books on?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
shandrakor
shandrakor began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are no reading devices which support ePub3 yet, so there would be no point in Calibre supporting it. What would you read the books on?
Not entirely true. iBooks and the Kobo app for iOS both support epub3, as does the Japanese version of the Kobo Touch. iBooks reportedly has some issues currently with vertical text, and Kobo with media integration, but both are very close to complete support.

Apple is a big enough "get" for epub3 that I expect wider support will come sooner than later.
shandrakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Vashti
Vashti began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
FWIW, I'm currently looking at a Japanese-language EPUB3 that I got this afternoon from the Pottermore store.

It reads cleanly in the Calibre viewer except that the vertical text is rendered sideways-on. Converts to KF8 as well, though my Kindle 3 and Kindle for PC can't do anything with it.

It converts to PDF perfectly, except that it's still rotated through 90 degrees, so I'm going to use that on my Kindle for now. ^_^ As long as I can see it.

(Edit - Actually, it only puts the first page of the chapter in the PDF, and I also only get one page of text in the Calibre viewer. Any suggestions for how I might fix this?)

Last edited by Vashti; 09-07-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: oh hm
Vashti is offline   Reply With Quote