Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
VineGal
Enthusiast
VineGal began at the beginning.

Device: Still looking. (Trying Nook Tab and NookST, Don't meet needs)
Ebook newbie-Can NookBook be converted to Kindle or Sony Format

Hi

This is a repost.Didnt look like original actually posted.
Also wasnt sure which forum to post to.

Im pretty new to ebooks so these may seem like simple questions

Ive not had time to actually READ because of issues with NookSimpleTouch update to v1.1.0

Can Nookbook I purchased from BN be converted to
1. Kindle format
2.Sony format

The book in paper format is heavy (1700pp) and difficult to take with me

So, I purchased a Nook Simple Touch ereader and this NOOKBOOK after using on of the ladies in my class.

When my NST updated to v1.1.0 I could no longer open the book It would show error "Activity reader not responding"

After hours with BN phone support as well as going to BN they were able to replicate issue and said this is indeed caused by 1.1.0 update

So looks like Ill have to return NST for Kindle or other device.

I wouldnt have minded buying another copy to use on those devices except it is $17.

Especially since when already purchased from BN and worked great on NST until 1.1.0 update

Im trying to find options before the Best Buy return deadline of 1/24

Thanks!
VineGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Short answer is .. Yes

Longer answer is that you'll have to remove the DRM, and install something like Calibre to convert it.

You won't get any direct instructions on removing DRM, but if you google "Apprentice Alf", you'll probably find all kinds of info.

We have a very helpful Calibre sub-forum for help with that program.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Im surprised they didnt replace it. Because not everyone is having a problem after updating to 1.1.0
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
VineGal
Enthusiast
VineGal began at the beginning.

Device: Still looking. (Trying Nook Tab and NookST, Don't meet needs)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Im surprised they didnt replace it. Because not everyone is having a problem after updating to 1.1.0

They did replace. Actually it happened on 4 NST only after 1.1.0 update

This is a Zondervan Study bible.
Someone else on another post said they have the same issue.

BN replicated. Also I contacted Zondervan and they acknowledged this was an issue with the 1.1.0 update. Said they would work with BN to get fixed

Not sure if want to wait. Who knows if will actually happen

Plus just 2 days left to get refund

I actually had 3 different NST on hand. They all updated auto to 1.1.0
The devices that had 1.0.1 as original software would not restore to factory.

The NST that updated to 1.1.0 from 1.0.0 was able to revert back to factory.
Since I know it will eventually autoupdate again to 1.1.0 not sure if want to chance it.
VineGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Nook book to Sony doesn't require a conversion, it just requires removal of DRM. And not all Nook books have DRM - certain free books can be found on B&N that don't have it.

For Kindle, it requires conversion to mobi.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
If you are going to be indoors, Olive Tree Software's version of your bible running on an iPad or Android tablet would be much faster to navigate than an epub version.

They are slightly pricey, but they have been a big name in pastoral software for some time.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Since Zondervan admits its a problem with their book and you already paid for a copy, I would contact Zondervan to see if they would ship you a free Kindle/mobi version.

P.s. Return it now. You can always re-buy it next week if you decide not to switch.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote