Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 09-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Stoddard, Jason: Winning Mars v1.0 2007-09-09

Here is Winning Mars by Jason Stoddard

Quote:
Am I Crazy? Winning Mars, FREE.

Yes. That’s right. Winning Mars, the novel. Free. And yes, I said “novel.”

“But wait,” you might be saying. “Wasn’t Winning Mars the story you had in Interzone 196? The one you got in Rich Horton’s Virtual Best of the Year 2005? The one that Gardner Dozois gave an Honorable Mention to in YBSF of the same vintage?”

Yes to all of those.

“So why the hell aren’t you getting this thing published, man?” would be the next logical question. “Why don’t you get an agent, shop this bad boy, and get it into that wonderful world of physical print? What could possibly cause you to consider giving up your ability to publish this book, forever, by giving it away online under a Creative Commons license?”

Well, a number of reasons. First and foremost, Winning Mars is a work of near-future fiction. It’s entirely possible that by the time it crawls through the 2-year process of conventional publishing, it will be irrelevant–or at least extremely dated. Second, I like writing. I want people to read my stuff. If the gigantic advance (LOL) that I’m going to get from a conventional publisher is getting in the way of people reading my stuff, then I’d rather just have people read my stuff. Third, I write a lot. I have a lot of trunk novels–think, like, 4 of them–that I really need to clear out so I can work on new stuff.

So, here you go. Winning Mars. Free.

Read it, give it to your friends, wallpaper your room, use it to mop up spilled coffee–it’s all cool. If you like it, the original story is available in a collection called Dangerous Games, edited by Gardner Dozois and Jack Dann. And, whether you like it or hate it, let me know.
August 18th 2007 Posted to Free Content
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Winning Mars.lrf (415.2 KB, 806 views)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote