Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 04:53 AM   #1
levander
levander began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Reader that takes good handwritten notes

I've got a Sony PRS900 sitting here that I'm returning tomorrow. Not only was I not happy with the software it uses to organize the notes, but there's also the glare that's not horrific, but too much for me to deal with. The software to organize the notes is funky because you can't highlight a passage and make a handwritten caption in the same note. You have to make it 2 different notes in the software.

So, what other readers are out there that take good hand written notes?

I saw the Hanvon ones at Wal-mart. But the 1 user review I've seen on it, the guy said the display was kind of like a CRT and it would ghost.

What about the Pocketbook readers? I was just on their (poorly designed) web site and couldn't tell which ones do handwriting and which ones don't?

And, if you guys know of any good reviews on readers that do handwriting, I would love to see them.

But, if I do force the issue of handwriting, am I going to have to give up on screen quality? I'm only willing to do that so much. But, I am willing to spend more. I was dying to get one of those Plastic Logic Que readers till they killed it. And now I've realized that the size of a sheet of paper screen it was supposed to have had is just too big for a reader.

Only other thing I can think of that's important is EPUB format. And, preferably one the color black. I hate all the different silly colors they try to use.
levander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Telly
Telly began at the beginning.

Device: still shopping
Have you looked at the PRS950, just released? I read plenty about the fuzziness of the 900 screen, but the new model fixed that, so it is said. I looked at one in Best Buy yesterday and thought it looked good. Like you, I'm looking for something to facilitate note-taking, though I wouldn't mind a nice bright red option (only silver, alas, so neither of us will be entirely satisfied in that respect). This 950 model keeps bobbing up to the top of the list.
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
levander
levander began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
What I've read about the latest Sony readers coming out is that while they are touchscreens, it doesn't really keep up with "touches" fast enough to capture handwriting.

But, if there's not a suitable reader that handles handwriting well, I will be getting a Sony PRS-650 (because it comes in black - wow I'm picky...).
levander is offline   Reply With Quote