Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you chosen to get a replacement for you faulty Paperwhite?
Yes 25 34.72%
No, it is bad but I can live with it 3 4.17%
I haven't decided yet 5 6.94%
No my PW is good 39 54.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #46
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Simaru, I stubbornly stick to lower light settings because to have the light on at high levels bothers my eyes. I may as well read on my Nexus 7 if I have to tunr the light on to max, and, BTW, Amazon recommend low light settings for dark rooms themselves. it also does not matter how high or low the settings are - I still have screen defects that are only washed out at maximum light. Again, my Nexus 7 is easier on my eyes than the PW at max light.

Also, I have to return not just my first unit, but three. Others returned more than one unit as well. Since this poll won't allow for multiple returns, you are seeing skewed numbers. Additionally, I have three bad units but could only submit one 1 star review, so people should take this into account as well.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #47
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Washed out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Simaru, I stubbornly stick to lower light settings because to have the light on at high levels bothers my eyes. I may as well read on my Nexus 7 if I have to tunr the light on to max, and, BTW, Amazon recommend low light settings for dark rooms themselves. it also does not matter how high or low the settings are - I still have screen defects that are only washed out at maximum light. Again, my Nexus 7 is easier on my eyes than the PW at max light.

Also, I have to return not just my first unit, but three. Others returned more than one unit as well. Since this poll won't allow for multiple returns, you are seeing skewed numbers. Additionally, I have three bad units but could only submit one 1 star review, so people should take this into account as well.
The key is the light does wash out the defects at high levels. It also makes the screen very bright and white. I have no problems reading at high PW light settings in dark rooms or bright sunlight. However, the eyes of all of us are quite different.

Since so many defective screens are being shipped, I'd recommend just getting a refund and waiting to December to order a PW again. I'm confident by then Amazon will have corrected this problem.

I remember my old Kindle Kbd WiFi having shorting problems which were not correctly diagnosed and corrected by Amazon until THREE MONTHS after its release.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #48
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yes, it does. When you look at the ones on engadget and other tech sites, theirs are completely uniform. They even state that you CAN'T SEE where the light is coming from. I want a unit from that batch!!!
I suspect sites like Engadget were sent complimentary review models. If so, then I'm sure Amazon made damn sure they got good ones!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #49
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I suspect sites like Engadget were sent complimentary review models. If so, then I'm sure Amazon made damn sure they got good ones!
I wonder if this ties into why the tech news sites still aren't picking up on the story. They certainly don't have any problems covering any manufacturing problems or screen flaws with Apple's or other high-profile mfr's products.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #50
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Exactly what I am thinking. I want one of THOSE.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #51
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Ditto on the light settings. In a dark room with a small and dim lamp on, which is my nighttime reading environment, I'm never able to go above level 14 on brightness otherwise the light overpowers the text. At level 24 my eyes would water and paint starts to peal off of the walls! Okay a slight exaggeration, but you get the drift--its way to bright at 24. Below level 12 the shadows get me. (I wonder if Stephen King designed this PW?) But seriously, below 12 the shadows are so noticeably washing out the text that reading for more than 5 minutes is impossible. So optimum level is 12 to 14, and I still have trouble reading on it then.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #52
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've never seen such an overwhelming response to a poll on bad Kindles. Wow. I never dreamed so many would be getting multiple replacements! I wonder if a new poll to replace this one with choices like those listed below would work better?
  • I have requested 1 Paperwhite replacement
  • I have requested 2 Paperwhite replacements
  • I have requested 3 Paperwhite replacements
  • I have requested 4 Paperwhite replacements
  • I have requested 5 Paperwhite replacements
  • No replacement ordered but returning Paperwhite
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #53
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
[*]I have requested 5 Paperwhite replacements
If I have to go that far, I'm just going to return it. The K4B is a perfect little device. I'd stick with it (and get a lighted case) if it had 3G.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #54
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Got one!

Quote:
Exactly what I am thinking. I want one of THOSE.
I got one of those and my screen is a perfect white at PW level 22.

Bright light in dark rooms doesn't bother me at all but I really never read there anyway.

However, I usually SLEEP in a dark room. The darkest environment I read in is at my rocking chair by the window on a cloudy day. Being retired, I spend a lot of time there in cloudy days and sunny days.

I always have to lower the shades half way when reading my Kindle Fire at that location to prevent glare. I never have to lower the shades for my Paperwhite.

I can hold my Paperwhite at all angles and the screen and font contrasts are PERFECT.

I posted a picture of my unit elsewhere on the Forum. Others spotted a light on one corner and shadows on the bottom. I could not see them either in the photo or the actual device.

However, vision capability may be a factor. I have a large cataract in one eye (I can read and see perfectly out of it) and a small cataract in my other eye. Maybe those cataracts are filtering out the defects.

Maybe those with perfect vision are having all these problems with the screens.

Jack has had lots of PW replacements to date. Maybe he should just request a refund and buy the PW again in December after Amazon has finally corrected the problems.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-10-2012 at 10:51 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #55
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
If I have to go that far, I'm just going to return it. The K4B is a perfect little device. I'd stick with it (and get a lighted case) if it had 3G.
Unfortunately xendula is getting close to that number!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #56
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

I agree, xendula. It makes no difference what level is selected -- the color differences are there. My Nexus 7 is much easier on my eyes and more pleasant to read with than the PW. I have ScreenDim installed which allows custom light levels to be set (up to five presets) via percentage sliders of both brightness and contrast. Plus it is very thin and lightweight (as you know).

I am sorry there are problems with all of your units.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #57
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Unfortunately xendula is getting close to that number!
Darn right! I think 5 and over 5 should be an option in a new poll. Those of us who ordered two from the get-go are bound to have more replacements.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #58
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I agree, xendula. It makes no difference what level is selected -- the color differences are there. My Nexus 7 is much easier on my eyes and more pleasant to read with than the PW. I have ScreenDim installed which allows custom light levels to be set (up to five presets) via percentage sliders of both brightness and contrast. Plus it is very thin and lightweight (as you know).

I am sorry there are problems with all of your units.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check out ScreenDim, though the K4B is awesome even with a book light.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #59
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm on with Amazon chat going for another replacement. Hopefully the third time's the charm.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #60
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm on with Amazon chat going for another replacement. Hopefully the third time's the charm.
Good luck! Give 'em hell!