Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #16
KarlB
Enthusiast
KarlB began at the beginning.

Device: clay tablet
There's an interesting comparison of the Kindle vs the nook by David Pogue on nytimes.com: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/te...h/10pogue.html
KarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:05 AM   #17
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
I have a KDX. I also have a corporate account/discount with b&N. I have been doing business with both for many years. I have generally found Amazon to be cheaper than B&N. This appears also to be true with ebooks. Notwithstanding all the probs reported with Nook, I'll stick with KDX and Amazon for the foreseeable future.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #18
Kate22689
Kate22689 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hi!

I have had a Kindle 2 over a year now but heard so much about the Nook that last week I went out and bought one. Returned it the next day.

The battery life is awful! The touch screen is really what drains the battery so quickly but sheesh. I read a few pages of a free book and the battery went down 2%. And that was only in a few minutes! The lady at B&N said it would last 2 days, my Kindle lasts for a good week.

As far as design, yes the Kindle has a lot of buttons, but to be honest its easier than the Nooks design. With the nook if you want to highlight, for instance, you have to go to the menu, find bookmark and highlight, click highlight, then click add a highlight, then scroll to get the highlight you want. With the Kindle you just use the 5-way button and highlight what you want. Personally, I'd rather highlight quickly and get back to my reading. But that's me.

The page turning takes a few seconds longer than Kindle, but its still pretty quick. The downloading takes about the same time as the Kindle.

As far as books, I've seen almost all the same books on B&N as I have on Amazon. And the prices are exactly the same. Yes, B&N has additional free books, but they are almost all by new authors and not something most people would like to read.

The Nook doesn't have the read to you feature like the Kindle.

But, one plus about the Nook is that if you go to a B&N with it, you can read any ebook for free for an hour. And then after an hour start another one. I thought that was cool.

However, at the end of the day I returned the Nook and kept my Kindle.

And as far as the B&N sales reps, the lady didn't know anything about the Kindle so she couldn't tell me how they were different. She just kept telling me all about the Nook. Isn't the first rule in sales to know your competitor? Haha.

--Kate
Kate22689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #19
fleon
fleon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Kate is right, the Nook has too many problems compared to the Kindle.

All things considered, an ereader should do one thing exceptionally well: display pages of a book. All other quirks can be somewhat forgiven... and this is where the Nook utterly fails.

Page turns on the Nook are slow. Not just, "Huh, there's a microsecond of difference between the Nook and the Kindle" but "wow, it's substantially slower than my 3 year old Sony PRS-500." It was so awkward that I often found myself with my eyes at the top of the page waiting for the device to finally turn a page. It made reading slower and considerably more unappealing.

I bought and returned my Nook in February. I wanted to like it- I don't like a lot of the Amazon policies. I just couldn't use it, so I bought a Kindle 2. Much better. Still wish there was more competition- I miss the joystick page turns that my PRS-500 had.
fleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 AM   #20
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate22689 View Post
The battery life is awful! The touch screen is really what drains the battery so quickly but sheesh. I read a few pages of a free book and the battery went down 2%. And that was only in a few minutes! The lady at B&N said it would last 2 days, my Kindle lasts for a good week.
Battery lasts longer if you put the Nook into Airplane mode and set the LCD to turn off after 10 seconds. At best, it's still half the battery life of Kindle's. On the positive side of things though, the Nook's battery is user replaceable so you can just carry spare ones with you.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #21
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Played with one last night. It was heavy and sluggish. Screen on bottom a gimmick that lost my interest in about 10 min. Prefer Kindle and Sony.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #22
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
I'm a long time Kindle user (snagged one on the first day of announcement). Bought 2 for others, sold my original kindle1 to a family member and have been using a Kindle2 since it came out.

I just bought a Nook and I have to say, I think I'm going to be keeping it as an adjunct to the Kindle.

Now, since I bought at this late date, I'm past the production issues with the cracking page key and post 1.3 update. What I love about the Nook:

1. The In-store free reading. Yes, it is only an hour, but it's great. I've had frequent problems with Kindle samples not going past a very long table of contents, and thus, not giving a good idea if the book is worth it. No problem with a 1 hour reading session! (and for some reason, I've been able to get a second hour at a later date, don't think this is common, though). I have two B&N stores less than 2 miles away, 2 more within 5 miles, and 1 more within 7 miles.

2. Cafe coupons. It's just cool that I could get a free 7-layer bar for visiting the store with my nook.

3. Wider selection at and more direct support for elibraries. (and yes, I've borrowed books and used the scripts to get them to work on the Kindle).

4. Nook can access all my eReader.com books that I'd bought since 2001 (starting from when they were peanut press, pre-Kindle). Woohoo.

5. The color touch screen didn't wow me (the user interface is poor, actually), until I figured out a method of one handed swiping with my thumb (same hand that holds the reader) that made page turning very natural and easy. I like it better than the Nook buttons or the Kindle buttons for this purpose. Virtually no gripping pressure needed.

I don't find the screen any better or worse than the Kindle. The Kindle has a better overall UI. Price and selection are better at Amazon.

But the expanded elibrary access alone should pay for the Nook in a year or two. The Kindle has seen most use as a bathroom reader lately and will probably stay there. When out of the house, I tend to read my books on the iPod Touch, so these days I rarely take the Kindle with me. I think the Nook will become my library ereader and take-along to Barnes and Noble when I want to hang out at their cafe and browse books. And I can buy books from more sources now and get them where they are cheapest (and take advantage of a bigger set of promotional offers).
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote