Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Skygeezer
Skygeezer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Where did all my books go?

Hi to the group. After a month with the non-wireless Kobo and perfect performance, we ran into a problem with our Kobo eReader. I use Calibre as well as the Kobo software, and Digital Editions on occasion. I like Calibre because it shows all the books on the eReader including the 100 free classic books, so I can get rid of them when I want. A big problem with the Kobo books is lack of illustrations. They come in as text only. Stephen Hawking's new book is impossible to read that way, so I bought it from the Sony store and it has all the illustrations and diagrams, and displays just fine on the Kobo.

Yesterday when I opened Calibre with the Kobo plugged in to the computer and clicked on device, there was nothing there except 3 of the Sony books. None of the many Kobo books we have bought, or the classics, showed up the way they had up to now. At the same time my wife complained that she could not access the Sony book that she had been reading on the Kobo. She was up to chapter 14 in this book ( Dan Brown's Lost Symbol ) but today it would not open. Neither would the Stephen Hawking book. They both display in Calibre, but where are all the other books? Until yesterday, Calibre always showed us everything on the Kobo.

Two things were done at the same time. We received notice that there was an update to the Kobo software, and we installed the update. Recently I updated Calibre to version 7. 26. Is it possible that one of the other, or both of these actions caused the Kobo books to disappear in Calibre? Or is Kobo encrypting their books in a new way?

The Sony books no longer open on the Kobo, even though they had been just fine until yesterday. It would appear that they are no longer present on the eReader, although their metadata and titles are still listed. Did syncing the Kobo remove the Sony books? It never did this before the Kobo software update.
Skygeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Did you try reloading the books through Calibre? It appears there may be a problem with Calibre and sync at the moment--though mostly we have seen books going from I'm Reading into Books and losing bookmarks. Tim Legge, who does the Calibre drivers, is looking into it.

That being said, the 1.7.3 version of the Kobo desktop is really a problem. The replacement is in outside beta testing.

Older versions of Calibre are here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/ You can go back a version or two and see if that fixes anything

Last edited by taming; 11-13-2010 at 03:38 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Skygeezer
Skygeezer began at the beginning.

I deleted the Sony books in Calibre, then loaded them again. They are back and working fine. I suspect that the next time we sync in the Kobo desktop they will disappear again. I will try this when the wife buys her next J.D. Robb book ( a daily occurence ).
Skygeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

I might be wrong, but after Calibre upgrade you have to point it
to db. Otherwise it does not know where to look for. At least it was
the problem I encountered on one old version of Calibre.

Last edited by zoran; 11-14-2010 at 01:03 AM.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote