Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
1GB SD Card for $19.99 after rebate

If you are in need of more memory for your PDA, here's a juicy offer for today: At Frys you can currently get a 1GB SD Card (no-name?) for $19.99 (instead of $39.99), if you send in the $20.00 Mail-in-Rebate.

Get it here today only at Fry's product page.

Last edited by BobR; 03-09-2006 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Slightly edited to prepare for front page.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
I love the myth behind the MIR... you pay full-price, incluidng tax on that full-price item, and then get a MIR for some discounted value of that full price, and yet you can't claim the 60% discounted price you actually paid on your tax filings at the end of the year...

(And yes, some of us do actually itemize our taxes and deductions this granularly)
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2006, 02:05 AM   #3
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
...hacker's around. Wow.

And yeah, the other thing about MIRs is that they get interest on wherever the extra money you paid to them in the first place is for however long it takes them to 'process' the rebate.

And then some people just don't bother to mail the rebate, etc, etc. So I just avoid things with MIRs on principle.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I guess I belong to Chaos's last category: I am just too damn lazy to actually fill out the rebate forms and mail them in. So no MIRs for me either.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I generally avoid rebate items, but sometimes the rebate deals are just too good to pass up. In fact, I just used one the other day to get an external USB hard drive because my other one is "smelling funny" (as in maybe overheating) and my house is not risking on a suspicious $100 device!

But the other problem I have with the rebates is that even when you do follow through with the paperwork, if anything doesn't go right in the process, or if you missed the fine print somewhere about certain conditions or exclusions, it's generally not really worth following up for $10 or $20 or even $50 sometimes if it's just a big ole pain in the neck. I'd say there's enough headaches in life without choosing more of them.

So I just stick with one or two of these exceptional deals at most over the year. You know, the kind I can't resist and there are no close non-rebate deals for. And one or two items is nothing -- I buy way too many electronics/computer items over the course of a year, so percentagewise that's nothing!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert