Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Barely a week in, already down below 1GB

Well that 2GB non-expandable memory made me uptight since I was using quite a bit of storage on my Kindle 1.

Now this morning Frommer's landed on my Kindle 2 like a whale madly beaching itself upon a rocky shore and I found myself awakening to discover my shuddering Kindle 2 now had less than 1GB of storage space left. And that after slightly more than 1 week of ownership.

I only have 90MB of MP3's on it and no audible books. All the ebook content is purchased ebook content e.g. I'm not stuffing it with scans, out-of-copyright content or Captain Jack Sparrow's master works.

I'm curious to see if Jeff Bezos will drop by the office with a 4GB Kindle 2 Mark II if I fill it up.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sorry, but that beached whale part is so funny!

Which Frommer's?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I keep a lot of books on my Kindle but not all of them (I tend to move them into storage when I finish them). On K1, I still have about half of the space left. On the 8GB SD card, I barely register as having anything on it. I don't keep music or audiobooks on it. I still use K1 away from home because I don't have a cover for K2 yet.

K2 only has a few books as I'm still testing and playing with it, so I have tons of space.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
I'm curious to see if Jeff Bezos will drop by the office with a 4GB Kindle 2 Mark II if I fill it up.
If you fill up your google mail space more will be added. Would be cool if Kindle worked that way to. Of course your media library can't fill up.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:

Just hope it's not Stephen King with a pink one (UR).
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Well that 2GB non-expandable memory made me uptight since I was using quite a bit of storage on my Kindle 1.

Now this morning Frommer's landed on my Kindle 2 like a whale madly beaching itself upon a rocky shore and I found myself awakening to discover my shuddering Kindle 2 now had less than 1GB of storage space left. And that after slightly more than 1 week of ownership.

I only have 90MB of MP3's on it and no audible books. All the ebook content is purchased ebook content e.g. I'm not stuffing it with scans, out-of-copyright content or Captain Jack Sparrow's master works.

You know that only 1.4GB of the 2GBs are accessible for storage right?

So you are only using 400ish MBs at the moment. Also you can delete your books (purchased from Amazon) and redownload them at anytime.

Last edited by Sporadic; 03-05-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I have 800 titles on mine so far and 500MB left. 1MB/book is about right (give that you only start with 1.4GB, and 100-200MB is taken up by search indexes).

Last edited by sirbruce; 03-06-2009 at 04:32 AM.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I can empathize, the books really do start to add up in terms of storage space. Thankfully we aren't required to keep all of them on the Kindle.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
So this "storing them on Amazon's servers" thing--does that work with documents you send yourself? Or only with books you buy from Amazon?
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Only with books you buy from Amazon.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
So this "storing them on Amazon's servers" thing--does that work with documents you send yourself? Or only with books you buy from Amazon?
Please everyone email them to tell them you want them to support user uploaded books in the media library... and also with whispersync.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have less than 300MB left and have 2000+ "books" on mine. Many of those "books" are actually far less than novel length.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I have less than 300MB left and have 2000+ "books" on mine. Many of those "books" are actually far less than novel length.
Have you come up with a way to organize them? I've been keeping around 30-40 on mine as I'm afraid it'd get to be to much otherwise without some way of organizing them.

For now I've got most of my books on my webserver so I can still access them anytime, but it'd be great if you could just upload them to your Amazon account.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I have 800 titles on mine so far and 500GB left. 1MB/book is about right (give that you only start with 1.4GB, and 100-200MB is taken up by search indexes).

Two things:
1) 800 titles!! Yowser, you must be a hardcore reading
2) 500 GB left on your Kindle? Where do I get this type of Kindle
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #15
joshewah
joshewah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Please everyone email them to tell them you want them to support user uploaded books in the media library... and also with whispersync.

BOb
They have web storage they sell already. If they could use the same model and just charge for how much data you use maybe they would do it. I doubt they would just give away free storage for people to put their documents on without paying.
joshewah is offline   Reply With Quote