Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
bighugs
bighugs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader
Smile Newbie with a Sony ereader

Hi everyone,
I got a Sony ereader for Christmas and am shocked at the prices of ebooks and also how many books don't seem to be available as ebooks. Could anyone give me some tips on good sites for cheaper ebooks please???
Many thanks - and Happy New Year!
Mandy
bighugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Hi. First, welcome. Secondly, Sony doesn't make the "ereader", which I only point out because you can get lost easily when researching devices and formats, so it's important to realize that "ereader" refers to a specific device/format.

Also, the "Search" button is your friend on MobileRead, where this exact topic has appeared numerous times. Enjoy!
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighugs View Post
Hi everyone,
I got a Sony ereader for Christmas and am shocked at the prices of ebooks and also how many books don't seem to be available as ebooks. Could anyone give me some tips on good sites for cheaper ebooks please???
Many thanks - and Happy New Year!
Mandy
Welcome.

Since I'm not sure what you mean by "the prices" it is hard to suggest a place for "cheaper" ebooks. However, there are 10s of thousands of free ebooks available too... which if you partake will bring your per-book price way down. Heck, there are over 5000 ebooks in the mobileread library that cost no more than the time/cost of a download.

So far I have read 26 ebooks of which I only had to pay for 10. The reast were free (public domain) or free giveaways from TOR or the author him/herself. My per-book price is probably less than $2 each.

Check out our Wiki for these sources for free ebooks. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks

Enjoy your stay here at Mobileread.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi bighugs and welcome to the Forum.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Books for your Sony Reader

Hello! I am also a new poster to the forums!
I have had great success buying Microsoft LIT books from Fictionwise. I use ConvertLIT to remove the DRM (although you will need to use the executable <clit> from the command line so as not to expand the original lit file too far) and Calibre to convert the new deDRM lit file to the lrf format needed for the Sony. I then import the Calibre lrf file into ebook library and finally load it onto my new Sony PRS-700. It takes a little work, but the results are worth it! (There might be a shorter process, but this one works for me. )

You can join the Fictionwise Buying Club which helps a little with the price and you earn Micropay cash which can get you free books. You can also get free classic books from Project Gutenberg and convert those to the Sony format. I have had an ebookwise 1150 for a couple of years and absolutely love it, then my wonderful family gave me the new Sony for Christmas! I am a total book junkie and a techno-geek and the electronic books have made it possible to combine the two!

I have been using MobileRead for quite a while to help debug problems I encounter along the way but it took getting my second reader to finally join the forums. Thanks to all for the help over the years!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi and Welcome!

I've been a member of this forum for about a year, having gotten an EB-1150 last year for Christmas. This year, I got a Sony 505. I had a few books still to be read in other versions, so I re-purchased them from Sony. Comparing receipts, the cost was exactly what I spent at Fictionwise for them. So Sony store is definitely giving good prices.

Like Bob said above, there are so many free downloads and special promotions that the occasional $20 download sort of gets more palatable when you figure it into an average per book cost.

Also, unless you have to have the latest bestseller on or before it hits bookstores, if you wait a week or so, the ebook cost usually drops to half price or less. I've found that if a specific book that I'm hoping for remains expensive, an email to the bookseller sometimes results in lower prices in a short time. They need reminders, just like we all need them.

Good Luck and enjoy your new device!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote