Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Michealj
Edge User

Kindle app question...

I have the kindle app installed, purchased a book from Amazon and it all works. But, the book is for a class and they assigned groups of pages to read. I noticed the Kindle doesn't have page numbers. Can the Kindle be configured to use page numbers? Will I have to count the pages manually? Any suggestions, helpful, will be appreciated.

Regards,

Micheal

Old 04-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

The Kindle app for iPhone/iPad recently got real page numbers (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...e_numbers.html). I couldn't find any info on when Android got/will get page numbers, but I'd say it's a given the Android version will have page numbers eventually.

Meanwhile, you won't be able to "count the pages manually" as such because what's on a page depends on font size, etc. You'll need chapter references for a start, and then "Paragraph that starts with the words 'xyz' ".

EDIT: The latest Kindle App I could find was version 2.0.4, which doesn't yet include page numbers (http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/kindle).

Last edited by borisb; 04-02-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Michealj
Edge User

Thanks for the quick reply Boris. I have sent an e-mail request to Amazon as well. Just thinking, Someone, perhaps you mentioned that an kindle book could be converted to an epub using Calibre. Have you tried it and might that restore page numbers? I am unfamiliar with the application but do have it installed on my laptop.

Regards,

Michea

Old 04-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

I don't remember that, and given that Kindle books are DRM-protected, Calibre won't work on them, as far as I know.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Michealj
Edge User

Thanks just a thought. Looks like I'm going to go to a used book store or the Library and key in on the chapter pages etc...

Thanks Boris.

Regards,

Micheal

Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Search Google using words like Calibre plugins, Kindle DRM etc. It's out there