Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Lightbulb BeBook dedicated device forum

Hi,

I would like to ask about whether we can add a dedicated BeBook sub-forum under the devices area. I know it is re-labelled hardware from Hanlin (V3) but the BeBook development may well diverge, and the current interest in the product for sale in Europe as well as current and future software development justifies a dedicated forum. I have done a decent review of the device, but posted it in the "Which Device Should I Buy?" section because I didn't want it to get lost/ignored under the Hanlin V3 forum. Thanks.

Great forum by the way - very informative.

Cheers!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
That's an interesting idea orwell2k.
It would have the advantages that you mention. But the current drawback is that members could end up repeating questions and answers as people asked the same thing about each of the Hanlin clones.
But If there is a flowering of Bebook development then that situation may well change.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
That's an interesting idea orwell2k.
It would have the advantages that you mention. But the current drawback is that members could end up repeating questions and answers as people asked the same thing about each of the Hanlin clones.
But If there is a flowering of Bebook development then that situation may well change.
I understand the dilemma. it would be nice to avoid confusion, especially for newbies, and have the BeBook at least included in the forum title for the Hanlin V3 (maybe Hanlin V3 / iBook / BeBook).

It may not be a big name device, but along with the CyBook it offers a great alternative to Sony and Kindle, especially to those outside the sales areas of those devices. As well as to those looking for a genuine alternative that offers a lot of good format support.

Just a thought - thanks.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
I understand the dilemma. it would be nice to avoid confusion, especially for newbies, and have the BeBook at least included in the forum title for the Hanlin V3 (maybe Hanlin V3 / iBook / BeBook).

Just a thought - thanks.

That's a fair point, orwell2k. I'll ask Alex about an alteration.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I think at the moment, they are trying to keep down the proliferation of new device based forums while they reorganize the forums. I recently suggested a new forum for the Jetbook (and at the moment there is no forum dedicated to it or its clones). I think in the future, they might be dividing the forums by major families of devices with dedicated sub forums for specific devices. I.e. There might be a Sony PRS forum with a 505 and a 700 dedicated forum...

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #6
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I think at the moment, they are trying to keep down the proliferation of new device based forums while they reorganize the forums. I recently suggested a new forum for the Jetbook (and at the moment there is no forum dedicated to it or its clones). I think in the future, they might be dividing the forums by major families of devices with dedicated sub forums for specific devices. I.e. There might be a Sony PRS forum with a 505 and a 700 dedicated forum...

--
Bill
I understand the problem, and probably agree as it gets out of hand and makes using the forum, especially for newbies, really tough. I figure the easiest optin at the moment is just to add the Hanlin V3 variants to the forum title, meaning no new forums, sub-forums or anything else, other than the name change.

When they do the re-org, it may be that the readers remain grouped by hardware type, or it may be sorted some other way.

Of course, it's not that bad at the moment, as a search for "BeBook" brings up most of the relevant threads. But sometimes people like to browse and see what's around, and having BeBook in the thread title is enough to catch someone's eye and perhaps get them to read few threads they masy otherwise miss.

Anyway, let's see what heppens!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader

I have told Alex of your suggestion, orwell2k.
But he's having an incredibly busy period at work, so it may be a while before he can get round to considering the forum reorganisation. So please don't be concerned about a delay.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I figure the easiest optin at the moment is just to add the Hanlin V3 variants to the forum title, meaning no new forums, sub-forums or anything else, other than the name change.
Agreed. Or perhaps the forum list can have a separate entry for each device but point to the same forum. So, Hanlin V3, BeBook, EZ Reader would all be the same "forum" but each be listed separately so new users can find the correct place to go.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
One of the biggest problems, I think, with deciding how to divide the forums is that there could be multiple ways of dividing them. For example, you can divide by screen technology (eInk versus LCD), screen size, formats supported...

Ideally, I think, the ideal organization would actually allow one forum to be the child forum of several different divisions. Therefore, the BeBook could be reached via 6" screens, or eInk, or Mobi (for example).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
I have told Alex of your suggestion, orwell2k.
But he's having an incredibly busy period at work, so it may be a while before he can get round to considering the forum reorganisation. So please don't be concerned about a delay.
Just following up on this ol' chestnut...

I've been less than active on this forum for a while, with just a few sporadic posts since Jan 2009. However, I'm slowly getting back into it and have noticed that there still hasn't been any follow-up to my initial request.

Granted there is likely to be a general bias toward Sony and Kindle forums since the majority of members are probably Sony/Kindle owners. However, clearly there is an increasing number of users interested in alternative devices to the big boys (i.e. Sony, Kindle, Iliad).

Looking back over my initial request, I agree having a dedicated BeBook forum doesn't make sense, since there is so much overlap with BeBook, V3, IBook, EZ Reader (same hardware, very similar firmwares). But I would like to raise the flag a little and think this forum has an obligation to draw more attention to these alternative devices, especially for newbies who no doubt (speaking from personal experience) get overwhelmed with info on Sony and Kindle, whilst having to really dig for any info on the alternatives.

Could we please get the forum title for the Hanlin entry changed to reflect the device variants clearly:

Hanlin eReader V3 (BeBook / IBook / EZ Reader / Walkbook / Papyre 6.1)

If necessary, older Hanlin device threads can go into a Hanlin Legacy forum, but maybe this iis overkill.

I would also suggest changing the sub-heading: "Chinese counterpart to the Sony Reader" as there is a lot of confusion over this throwaway phrase. Again, it stems from the inhernet Sony bias as a comparative device example, but times are changing and I think we need a better description, perhaps:

"Chinese manufactured eInk device distributed internationally as several variants"... or some such wording - perhaps some other users may have better suggestions for this text?

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #11
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Could we please get the forum title for the Hanlin entry changed to reflect the device variants clearly:

Hanlin eReader V3 (BeBook / IBook / EZ Reader / Walkbook / Papyre 6.1)
I'd like to second this request. I have had a few people asking about my BeBook and while I always send them to MobileRead for more information, I have to make sure to tell them to look for the "Hanlin" section to find information about the BeBook. I get some strange looks.

Quote:
I would also suggest changing the sub-heading: "Chinese counterpart to the Sony Reader" as there is a lot of confusion over this throwaway phrase. Again, it stems from the internet Sony bias as a comparative device example, but times are changing and I think we need a better description, perhaps:

"Chinese manufactured eInk device distributed internationally as several variants"... or some such wording - perhaps some other users may have better suggestions for this text?
I don't think there should be any mention of Sony in the description, they don't look or act alike and it's just confusing. Perhaps this sub-heading is where we can add an "Also known as" line.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:53 AM   #12
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I don't think there should be any mention of Sony in the description, they don't look or act alike and it's just confusing. Perhaps this sub-heading is where we can add an "Also known as" line.
Good suggestion. I just hope the PTB (powers that be) will listen.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #13
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Good suggestion. I just hope the PTB (powers that be) will listen.
We're listening, orwell2k.
Alex has an ongoing program of forum development, with a very long to-do list. He will be getting round to the Hanlin/BeBook sections before too long.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #14
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
We're listening, orwell2k.
Alex has an ongoing program of forum development, with a very long to-do list. He will be getting round to the Hanlin/BeBook sections before too long.
Someone's listening, but to whom?

Having seen the commonality of the Hanlin V3 devices, I got used to the convenience of having all the devices in a single forum. And what should happen? Suddenly there is a dedicated Astrak EZReader forum, which if I'm not mistaken is another set of Hanlin clones. What gives?

And then we get a very rapid modification to the Sony forums.

I guess since it's not Sony or Kindle, then who cares, right?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

I guess since it's not Sony or Kindle, then who cares, right?
The Kindle is innocent. Right now, there are 2 Sony forums, 2 iRex forums, 2 Hanlin forums (including Aztek) but only 1 Kindle forum.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebook