Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #496
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Under A Graveyard Sky by John Ringo.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #497
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
C. Dulaney's third book, Roads Less Traveled: Shades of Grey, was just released.

http://www.amazon.com/Shades-Gray-Ro...d_sim_kstore_1

99cents at the moment.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #498
Artisan
Miles away from ordinary.
Artisan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Has anyone read The Darwin Elevator trilogy? I just downloaded a sample, and based on the reviews I am excited to read it.

I'm not sure it's a true "zombie" story, but has similar themes (based on the description).
Artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #499
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan View Post
Has anyone read The Darwin Elevator trilogy? I just downloaded a sample, and based on the reviews I am excited to read it.

I'm not sure it's a true "zombie" story, but has similar themes (based on the description).
I read the ARC of the first book and enjoyed it more than I expected to - not the best book I've ever read but an interesting mixture of zombies and science fiction (beyond the "normal" post-apocalyptic thing that zombie books tend to go for).

I have the second and third book as well but haven't got to them yet. Definitely plan to, though, which does mean the first book worked well enough for me.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #500
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
So I have read the Zombie Apocalypse trilogy by Manel Loureiro. The first book is quite good, but the second and third are a bit of a let down, they drag and some of the elements of the story feel forced, like "I need more pages, so let's squeeze this plot in here". It's an OK read, but not a page turner.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #501
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Hollowland by Amanda Hocking is free on Amazon again today.

http://www.amazon.com/Hollowland-The...rds=hollowland

The audiobook is just $1.99...when you buy the free book
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #502
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I don't normally bother with negative reviews but I thought if I save just one person it will be worth it...........

Just finished the first in the As the World Dies series by Rhiannon Frater called The First Days.

Probably the worst book I have ever had the displeasure to read. My only wish is that I had had the courage to gouge my own eyes out rather than finish this book but I'm one of those anal people who MUST finish books.

The characters were so ridiculous as to be pathetic. Jenni made me cringe every time she thought or said something. All characters started out as cliched caricatures and went downhill into pathetically written stereotypes. The action sequences were only vaguely interesting and not even remotely suspenseful or exciting. The writing was terrible. The number of grammatical, spelling, typing and layout errors showed it had not been proof read. In fact it read like a terrible first draft of a school kids english assignment.

The inane repetitiveness of some things were so grating as to have me screaming. I get it that Juan's pet name for Jenni is Loca but he doesn't need to use the word every time he talks to her and certainly not multiple times in a single sentence or paragraph. And nobody says "Gawd" as much as these people.

Save yourself the time and money and read any other book, whether about zombies or anything else, rather than this one.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #503
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Whilst I respect your opinions I would just point out for balance that you are in a very small minority (not that that makes you wrong). The vast majority of her readers love this series and it is a widely help wish that she return to it some day.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #504
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that is the main reason I decided to post my review. To provide a bit of balance to all the positive reviews.

To each their own I always say but for the life of me I can not understand all the positive reviews of this.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #505
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I think that is the main reason I decided to post my review. To provide a bit of balance to all the positive reviews.

To each their own I always say but for the life of me I can not understand all the positive reviews of this.
I appreciate the negative and neutral reviews more than the positive ones. I've found that a lot of 5 star books tend to be severely overrated. A book having a majority of 5 stars raises more red flags for me than ones with a variety. Especially when people come out of the woodwork and essentially tell you that your opinion isn't valid because others liked it.

Not to mention, I checked out the 1-3 star reviews of that book. Even when the reviewers liked the book, they said the same things you did.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #506
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
Especially when people come out of the woodwork and essentially tell you that your opinion isn't valid because others liked it.
If that was aimed at me then I respectfully ask that you rethink it. Read my post again. I was careful not to call his opinion invalid because it is not. It is just an opinion. As for coming out of the woodwork check my post count against yours. I remember why I don't post much here anymore.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #507
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
If that was aimed at me then I respectfully ask that you rethink it. Read my post again. I was careful not to call his opinion invalid because it is not. It is just an opinion. As for coming out of the woodwork check my post count against yours. I remember why I don't post much here anymore.
It wasn't aimed specifically at you. It was a general comment about how negative/neutral reviews tend to be treated by fans/authors. You were sort of included in it, but should not have been.

I do apologise. This is a forum and not a traditional rating site so the setup is different and I should have thought about my reply more before making it.
Your response was very respectful.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #508
Stormchild
Evangelist

Apology accepted. Thank you.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #509
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I was skimming through the Kindle store the other day, and came across Zombie Night in Canada: First Period by Jamie Friesen.
I read the blurb, and when it said that the book was set in my hometown of Edmonton, Alberta, I thought "what the hell" and paid my four bucks for what I assumed was satire. C'mon, a name like Zombie Night in Canada? *rolls eyes.
What I found very pleasantly surprised me. Sure it's a zombie outbreak book, a little clichéd, but I really enjoyed it.
I read it all in one sitting, and can't wait for the sequel.
The dialogue can be a bit hokey, as is some of the characterization, but on the whole, I highly enjoyed it. Any book that I read in one session is a five star for me.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #510
PKFFW
Wizard

Just finished -

Rise Again - Below Zero by Ben Tripp. Sequel to Rise Again.

I enjoyed it a lot. It managed to walk that fine line between lots of zombie killing action and human emotional drama pretty well. Though, it did drag a little in the middle where it did get bogged down a little heavy in the human drama side of things. Otherwise it was quite good.

Personally I like what he has done with the zombie idea....not just the straight up traditional slow brain eating ones, though there are those too. So if you are a strict traditionalist then you may not like it.

I highly recommend both in the series.