Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 4NT
myts & kite not working on K4NT

I've been trying for hours to replicate the kindleberry pi on my K4NT: http://projectdp.wordpress.com/2012/...-raspberry-pi/

However, I find that most hacks only work for version 3.

I finally got a jailbreak and USB networking, although it stays on the "USB Drive Mode"(not charging) screen when I unplug it with networking enabled.

The normal launchpad has no 4 version, so I installed kite instead, and added these scripts to kite: http://www.timelesssky.com/blog/term...tor-for-kindle.

However, when I activate the terminal on the home screen, it does nothing.

I tried my own test script:

test.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "hallo wereld" > /mnt/us/documents/foobar.txt
But nothing happens. It seems kite is broken? Kite is running though, because it creates the home screen links.

Does kite have an error log somewhere?
pepijndevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

I started myts over usb networking, and I get the same error as this guy, suggesting a bug in myts: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...ertion-failure
Old 09-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepijndevos View Post
I started myts over usb networking, and I get the same error as this guy, suggesting a bug in myts: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...ertion-failure
Which version of myts? The latest that I am aware of is myts-8. And myts relies on a physical keyboard (DX or K3), not an onscreen keyboard. Perhaps it is reading the wrong event device...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
pepijndevos
Connoisseur

Yes, version 8.

There is a section in the ini that defines what seems to be the event device:

Code:
RefreshDelay = 50
    #KpadIn = /dev/stdin
    KpadIn = /dev/input/event0
    FwIn = /dev/input/event1
    VolIn = /dev/input/event2
    KpadOut = /proc/keypad
    FwOut = /proc/fiveway
    VolOut = /proc/volume
    SpecialIn = /var/tmp/myts.special
Old 09-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepijndevos View Post
I tried my own test script:
test.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "hallo wereld" > /mnt/us/documents/foobar.txt
But nothing happens. It seems kite is broken? Kite is running though, because it creates the home screen links.
Does kite have an error log somewhere?
it could be 'another' line endings problem.
If you are using Windows try with programmer's notepad> "save as"> format:"ensure linux format(LF)".

Last edited by thomass; 09-30-2012 at 05:38 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
afaik myts won't run on a k4, it does die with a malloc error.
would be really good if someone knowledgeable enough could get it to work can still be useful on a keyboardless device, as a remote screen.

i'm gonna run it again now just to check what it says.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Code:
myts: malloc.c:3096: sYSMALLOc: Assertion `(old_top == (((mbinptr) (((char *) &((av)->bins[((1) - 1) * 2])) - __builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd)))) && old_size == 0) || ((unsigned long) (old_size) >= (unsigned long)((((__builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd_nextsize))+((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1)) & ~((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1))) && ((old_top)->size & 0x1) && ((unsigned long)old_end & pagemask) == 0)' failed.
Aborted
edit: oh yeah, as given in the link in the second post.... sorry.

Last edited by hippy dave; 09-30-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
pepijndevos
Connoisseur

I'm a Mac/Linux user, so line endings should be okay.

Is there any other terminal that works on Kindle 4?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
hippy dave
Zealot

no
Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
If you have Kindlet knowhow, you could try to port kindleTERM, but you would have to fix the usb drive image showing up when usbnetworking is on.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The usbnet issue was fixed in v0.43.N. Read the doc . (Hint: set USE_VOLUMD to true).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
@NiLuJe: I had seen that, couldn't remember how to do it though..
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #13
pepijndevos
Connoisseur

Okay, so the usbnet issue is resolvable. I have no kindlet knowhow though. I do know Java though, so maybe with some handholding...? I'll show my nose in the respective thread.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
pepijndevos
Connoisseur

Ok, I tried to install this kindlet on my kindle. It seems to work, with a few issues:

The screen is initially blank. Pressing a few buttons reveals the input fields.

I can SSH into root@localhost, which is useless without a keyboard.

I cannot SSH into my machine. Any ideas? Maybe I'll try public key authentication.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-47220.gif
Views:	838
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	93544  
Old 10-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
hippy dave
Zealot

i find exactly the same, i think it's a ssh authentication/key issue, but i don't know how to get past it.

i just got a different kindlet version working on my k4, with a remote keyboard window on my computer - here