Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Can you get DRM free books from Sony Reader Store?

Hi

I'm looking through the contract with Sony to put books on their store and it mentions DRM quite a lot. Does anyone know if books are sold through Sony that don't have DRM?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I believe that everything sold through their store has DRM. There is no search category that allows you to find anything that would be DRM-free. Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Thanks bookworm-girl. I was just returning to the thread to say I found a paragraph in the contract that says certain books might be sold without DRM by mutual agreement. But it looks like it's a very big exception to the rule. They imply that any book without DRM would be at risk and would be a Security Incident.

edit: that should read "could be a...."

Last edited by wannabee; 06-26-2011 at 11:13 PM.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Gotta love those "mutual agreement" clauses. Security incident is an interesting use of words.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Security incident is an interesting use of words.
Especially considering recent hacking events...

My guess, based on past experiences with Sony in general, is that if they can put DRM on something to prevent you from sharing it with others, they will. Not to mention, the store is one of the ways their reader is different from the others on the market, they benefit form forcing us to use their hardware, or at least software, to read their ebooks.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Not to mention, the store is one of the ways their reader is different from the others on the market, they benefit form forcing us to use their hardware, or at least software, to read their ebooks.
Umm, isn't the DRM used in the Sony Readers just run-of-the-mill Adobe ADEPT? Granted, you're required to use the Reader Library software if you want to purchase ebooks from Sony, but I'm pretty sure you don't even need to install Reader Library to get DRM'ed ebooks from BooksOnBoard, Kobo, etc on the Sony. Indeed, a PRS-950 user was able to use Kobo's software to transfer DRM'ed ebooks to their device.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Indeed, a PRS-950 user was able to use Kobo's software to transfer DRM'ed ebooks to their device.
I know, I get a lot of my books from Kobo.

I was referring to books purchased from Sony, that require the Reader Library and a Sony reader unless you feel like doing format conversion on every book you get.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
While I've never bought any eBooks from Sony without DRM, all I've bought no longer have DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

I should clarify my earlier statement about getting Kobo books: Their ePub books sync effortlessly and easily to my 950. The remainder don't, unless of course I download them from the website and do (de-)constructive things to them first.