Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #166
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi All!

@theduder:
You're right, this is kind of a bug. This can happen due to different even and odd page sizes (in your example it looks like you have a scanned document which is likely to have variable height/width). The resulting cropped pdf will only have the same height/width if you can assure that the original width/height of different pages in a document are equal.

@seol1500:
This are some interressting thoughts but the big problem I see here is that analysing a pdf like you proposed isn't really possible - finding objects outside a specified region would require some serious image analysis... Nevertheless I want to tackle the image analysis part, because I will need it for automatic determination of crop rectangles (december at the earliest). btw.: donation is possible

@flyash:
Nice idea, I added a feature request on sourceforge.

I'll hope to be able to add a few new features in december,
best regards,
Laborg
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #167
andyg2
andyg2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
This tool is excellent but I would love a command line option to add crop boxes

For example:
To crop two boxes from in.pdf and save as out.pdf:

Box 1: 50x100 points with the top left point at 55x 100y and the bottom right point at 105x 200y

Box 2: 280x100 points with the top left point at 120x 200y and the bottom right point at 400x 300y

Example usage:
briss-0.0.10.jar [[source.pdf] [destination] [coordinates] [coordinates] [coordinates] ...]
java -jar briss-0.0.10.jar in.pdf out.pdf 55:100x105:200 120:200x400:300

This would provide both automation and precision to the act of cropping PDFs
I'm sure you've got lots of things to do but please consider adding this functionality.
andyg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #168
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Example usage:
briss-0.0.10.jar [[source.pdf] [destination] [coordinates] [coordinates] [coordinates] ...]
java -jar briss-0.0.10.jar in.pdf out.pdf 55:100x105:200 120:200x400:300

This would provide both automation and precision to the act of cropping PDFs
I'm sure you've got lots of things to do but please consider adding this functionality.
You could do something very similar with the pdfmanipulate crop command line tool that comes with calibre. (True it only lets you do one crop box per page, but you could do it twice and then merge the two results with any number of tools.... perhaps even with pdfmanipulate (merge) itself with the right script. I'm pretty sure I could whip up a bash script for mac/linux for this without too much trouble.)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #169
stakats
stakats began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
jpg2000 support

Any progress on supporting PDFs with jpeg2000 images? Or is there a workaround to convert those PDFs to make them readable? I love briss but am completely stuck with these jpeg2000 PDFs. Many thanks for the great software!
stakats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:27 AM   #170
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

The Problem is that the JAI.jar (1.1.4) isn't developed and downloadable anymore. Basically I think with JAI.jar it would work very easily...
Old 12-11-2010, 12:38 AM   #171
serige
serige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350
hi I am getting an exception after my PDF got analysed while creating cluster:1

here is the error message:

C:\Download Data\briss-0.0.11>java -jar briss-0.0.11.jar
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at at.laborg.briss.PDFPageCluster.getPreviewImage(PDF PageCluster.java:13
2)
at at.laborg.briss.MergedPanel.<init>(MergedPanel.jav a:64)
at at.laborg.briss.Briss$ClusterPagesTask.done(Briss. java:566)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$5.run(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnab le.run(Unknown Sour
ce)
at sun.swing.AccumulativeRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnab le.actionPerformed(
Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(U nknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

My pdf file is around 50MB, I think I can extract a few pages and chop them, but then all the bookmarks would be lost, is the size a problem there?

Edit:
Actually, I got it solved by increasing the memory allocation for java VM

Last edited by serige; 12-11-2010 at 01:04 AM.
serige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:29 AM   #172
laborg
Zealot

@ sergie: Wasn't aware that such monster pdfs need more memory than default.

Thx, will include this into the readme...

laborg
Old 01-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #173
Naro
Naro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Does anybody know why Briss would chop off sections of some pages and not others? When I import a regular pdf file (all the page sizes/formats are the same) I end up getting something like this:

Naro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #174
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
What I'm hoping to do is take some two-column PDF e-books I have and reformat them so that Calibre can convert to ePub and get decent results (I'm not a perfectionist, all I ask is readability).

Suggestions for doing this?
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #175
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
What I'm hoping to do is take some two-column PDF e-books I have and reformat them so that Calibre can convert to ePub and get decent results (I'm not a perfectionist, all I ask is readability).

Suggestions for doing this?
Unfortunately, I don't think BRISS with work for that. BRISS just sets the visible bounding box; it doesn't remove the remainder of the page. So Calibre will still find the "hidden" part of the page, and if you split the columns, you'll just be duplicating everything.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #176
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naro View Post
Does anybody know why Briss would chop off sections of some pages and not others? When I import a regular pdf file (all the page sizes/formats are the same) I end up getting something like this:

You might want to look at soPDF which "smart" trims a page at a time. BRISS just has two trim setting a right page and left page.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #177
laborg
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
You might want to look at soPDF which "smart" trims a page at a time. BRISS just has two trim setting a right page and left page.

=X=
In Naros case it's a just a bug (working on that)...

regards,
Old 01-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #178
hort_wort
hort_wort doesn't litterhort_wort doesn't litter

Device: nook
I just purchased the complete Star Trek comic book collection. I wanted to crop it and put it on my nook, and your program seems the way to go!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for these files because they're secured pdfs. DRM always screwing me up, grumble grumble....

Is there a way that I can get Briss to do its thing anyway? As is, it produces a blank pdf file after I enter the output filename. I mean, I could cheat and just print the file and send it to a "pdf printer", but that's such a hassle.

Last edited by hort_wort; 01-10-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: misspell
hort_wort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #179
frabjous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
I mean, I could cheat and just print the file and send it to a "pdf printer", but that's such a hassle.
How big of a hassle is it? In the time it took to write that message, you could have done it four times over, at least.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #180
hort_wort
hort_wort doesn't litterhort_wort doesn't litter

Device: nook
Well, I tried printing it on bullzip pdf and it got stuck. This collection contains hundreds of comics, every time I need to take an extra 2 minutes for another step, it adds up fast.

pdflrf managed to do it's stuff okay, but then I'd have to convert from lrf to epub. Processing time per file that way was ~10 minutes and the file size ended up being 8x what it had to be.

I'm not pointing it out to be a jerk, I was thinking that a program designed to work with these files should be able to work with these files.
hort_wort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cropping pdf, pdf