Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
kdittyr
uber noob
kdittyr began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iPhone
Quick question regarding feature

I have been reading this forum for a little while now, though I don't have an e-reader just yet. I believe I have whittled the list down to the PRS-900. Thanks for all of the great information

My question is: Does the PRS-900 have the ability to "goto page"? Does that exist when viewing pdf's? Oh, and is there a search feature? I haven't had the opportunity to actually play with the 900, yet, but I am hoping that the Sony Style store near my work has one that I can peruse... and possibly leave with after purchasing.

I hope this hasn't been covered anywhere on this forum, I searched but didn't find it.

--kdittyr
kdittyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
It does have a go to page function, and it's usable with PDFs.

It also has a Search function, usable through the virtual keyboard. (Options > Search, keyboard pops up and lets you choose what to search for) Obviously this wont work on scanned PDFs.

These are true of both the 600 and 900.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdittyr View Post
I have been reading this forum for a little while now, though I don't have an e-reader just yet. I believe I have whittled the list down to the PRS-900. Thanks for all of the great information

My question is: Does the PRS-900 have the ability to "goto page"? Does that exist when viewing pdf's? Oh, and is there a search feature? I haven't had the opportunity to actually play with the 900, yet, but I am hoping that the Sony Style store near my work has one that I can peruse... and possibly leave with after purchasing.

I hope this hasn't been covered anywhere on this forum, I searched but didn't find it.

--kdittyr
Welcome to MobileRead! You've come to the right place to get your questions answered, get recommendations, reviews, free ebooks and lots of fun. MR is addicting. So be forewarned!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
kdittyr
uber noob

Thanks, dorino, for the super-quick reply and good info. I appreciate it.

@rebarnmom
I believe that, I tend to find myself here several times a day
Old 06-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Be warned, PDF zoom is reset when you change the page. I'm not sure about whether this is a good thing for me, I don't much use PDFs.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
kdittyr
uber noob

Thanks, dorino, I will make a note of that.

I have tons of PDFs, though I am interested in moving my books to ePubs and the like. Not converting, but rather purchasing ePub or other formats that will just look good on my screen, whatever I end up buying.

I was fairly convinced I wanted the PRS-900, though I am now wondering if that is more than I need or if the extra 1.1 inch is worth the extra $100. I am thinking so as it comes with an actual charger and hardcase... I don't know. We'll see.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
The 600's on sale at Staples, Office Depot, Best Buy, etal., now come with the cover bundled.
You're still on your own for a charger, but they can had for less than $5.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdittyr View Post
Thanks, dorino, I will make a note of that.

I have tons of PDFs, though I am interested in moving my books to ePubs and the like. Not converting, but rather purchasing ePub or other formats that will just look good on my screen, whatever I end up buying.

I was fairly convinced I wanted the PRS-900, though I am now wondering if that is more than I need or if the extra 1.1 inch is worth the extra $100. I am thinking so as it comes with an actual charger and hardcase... I don't know. We'll see.
All the Sony readers are currently on sale. I've owned every Sony Reader model except the original 500. I can tell you the screen on the 900 is a lot better than on the 600. The extra $100 was worth it to me for a better screen, an AC charger, a built in cover, and a good Case Logic case for carrying it in luggage etc.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
kdittyr
uber noob

Thanks for the input, jswinden, I was ready to throw down the cash yesterday on the 900, though I have since decided to wait a little bit.

I had a chance to go to the Sony Style store and spend about 45 minutes with the three different PRS models. I took off my glasses and was able to read on the smallest font setting on all three models (at a comfortable reading distance, not right on my nose), that is impressive as my eyes are terrible. Overall I was very impressed with all of the models. I cannot imagine buying a 300, it is a wonderful device, but the screen is very small. The 600 was great but the screen still seemed a little small. The 900 was really nice and I would love to have brought it home with me... ...but

I have lingering questions as to what I really want out of the reader and I know there are other models out there and I want to make sure I am happy with what I purchase. The only gripe I have about the 900 is... wait for it. The contrast is a little off. I imagine I can deal with the glare, that isn't such a bad thing, but I played with the nook over the last weekend and was impressed with the upper screen. It was very crisp and clear with what I thought was very good contrast. However, the nook has its own issues that will need to be dealt with before I buy one of them. I also heard that there were two more models of nook's as well as a new kindle and the Acer LumiRead coming out and that made me pause and say: "maybe I should wait to see what is coming so I can make a well informed decision"

For the record, I am super excited to get one, I guess I am just nervous. Also, I read a bunch of technical books for software development that seem to end up as paper weights around the house after a new version of whatever language I am reading about and working with is released. That was the driving force for me, and my wife was like: "Finally, a way to get rid of these books" I usually have backup pdf versions of my tech books which I keep both at work and at home in case I don't feel like pulling out the actual book. I have registered a bunch of the books at O'Reilly and I am looking to pick a bunch of them and purchase the ePub version so I don't have issues with reflow... but I won't be able to get ePub versions of all of the pdf's that I have and that is one of the deciding factors for me. I did see a video review of some eReader where the reviewer was saying that whatever device she was playing with didn't have as good of a capability to reflow as Sony. I did find that interesting.

I am thinking about putting some pdfs on an SD card and trying them out at the Sony Style store to see how well they do.

Last edited by kdittyr; 06-15-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Tags
goto, prs-900, search