Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
No free Kindle books in Canada?

I have been strongly considering buying a Kindle---I am waiting for the Apple announcement just to see, but I really want the on-board dictionary and text to speech and nothing at CES is jumping out at me. I saw the slew of new year freebies at the Kindle store and thought I would download some just to see, and then if I did buy a Kindle, they would show up on the Kindle when I got it.

So I downloaded the ipod app and plugged in a few of the titles. They all cost $2. I went to the Amazon website and they said $0 but when I clicked on details, it said $2. I have heard the $9.99 best-sellers are all $11.99 in Canada, so I guess everything just costs $2 more in Canada. And that means no free books!

The same books seem to be available in the Sony store for $2 and then I could liberate them, convert them in Calibre and read them on the Kindle that way. If I have to pay $2 anyway, I may as well have an open format, right?

I do already own a lot of content which would be easily convertable to Kindle and did not anticipate buying much (if anything) from the Amazon store. My main motivation is the read to me feature, which will work with all my books because they are all either liberated books from other sources, or free books from here. I have pretty much been wasting my half-hour commute and half-hour gym time on the same music I have had on my MP3 player for a decade (I am not a huge music listener) and this is an hour a day I could be making progress in my reading with if I had a Kindle.

But I am wondering if there are no free books at all for non-Americans, what incentive there would be to use the Amazon store at all and if I may be paying too much of a premium for the Amazon brand given that I won't have any incentive to buy from their store.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post

The same books seem to be available in the Sony store for $2 and then I could liberate them, convert them in Calibre and read them on the Kindle that way. If I have to pay $2 anyway, I may as well have an open format, right?
Six of one, half dozen of the other. They're equally liberate-able (unless it's Topaz) and convertible.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
You can still become an American (at Amazon's Kindle store, at least) with the usual tricks and get the freebies for free.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote