Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
jtdavies1000
jtdavies1000 began at the beginning.

Device: None
URGENT - Travelling with Sony Reader Pocket

Hey guys, i am currently travelling in South America and am looking to buy an E-reader to be delivered to me here in Argentina. I can get the Sony Reader Pocket or the Cybook Opus.

My main concern with the Sony Reader Pocket is the software. Do you need it to load books? Or can you plug the reader into any PC, even without the software installed, and drag-and-drop books via windows explorer?

(Obviously not Sony e-store books but ones from unprotected ones from manybooks etc?)

Obvisouly if the software is obligatory i cannot use the e-reader as i will be loading books from lots of different internet cafés as i travel around, and i can´t instal the software in all of them and i beleive the software does not work outside certain contries, of which Argentina is not one of them. Also, i am led to beleive by what i´ve read that the first time you plug in your reader it installs the software and from then on your reader is locked (ala iPod) to that pc, is this true?

However, if the reader just appears as a USB Disc drive in Windows Explorer then i can load books on that way, or is that not possible?

Thye cybook Opus would allow USB drag-and Drop without software but i am held back from that by price and issues with stability.

I put URGENT in the title as i need to choose and buy one soon. Thanks for your help

James
jtdavies1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdavies1000 View Post
However, if the reader just appears as a USB Disc drive in Windows Explorer then i can load books on that way, or is that not possible?
Yes. That is the case.
Connect Reader drag & drop files on the E:\ or whatever letter the umass device gets.

It WILL try to persuade you to install software, because there is autorun file on the reader that tries to install the software every time it is connected to a "virgin" [understand: not infested with abominable Sony Software] computer. On computers where Sony Library is installed it tries to start the software. Very annoying..

Also try to purchase charger if you are on the road. Play Station Portable charger works very well, you do not have to buy original charger for Reader.

See owner manual:
http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/So...set-166215.pdf
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
jtdavies1000
jtdavies1000 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks

I really want a pocket e-reader, small for travel etc but was worried about being able to load books from lots of different computers etc, especially considering Sony can try to tie you down to one PC/using its software.

I think i´ll go ahead and get it now
jtdavies1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
I use Calibre to transfer books to my Sony reader. It is an elegant piece of software programmed by Kovid Goyal and there are references to it in these forums. I have this installed on my desktop and laptop so I can update my reader when travelling.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Badandy
Connoisseur
Badandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdavies1000 View Post
Thanks

I really want a pocket e-reader, small for travel etc but was worried about being able to load books from lots of different computers etc, especially considering Sony can try to tie you down to one PC/using its software.

I think i´ll go ahead and get it now
I don't even have a Sony but I want to go ahead and say you made the right decision. Bookeen is a horrid company who has the worst customer service and support I've ever experienced.
Badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
fizzywiz
fizzywiz began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3 ver1.2 Build 834
I will second Badandy on the horrendous Bookeen customer service, I would go with anything other than a product made from Bookeen. Just-stay-away!
fizzywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
New PRS-300 owner, and will confirm there is no need to install the Sony software. I just drag and drop, or copy and paste the books I want to carry. I believe the directory is .../data/media/books on the 300.

I am extremely pleased with the 300 so far.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote