Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
Calibre Companion - Where are my books?

Hi, apologies if this has already been answered here, but there are far too many posts to read through them all to check.

I have just bought a Nook HD+ and have put Calibre Companion on it. I connected my Nook to My laptop, opened Calibre on my laptop and sent just over 1000 ebooks to my Nook, but only 30 are showing in the Companion app.
Does anyone know where the rest of my books went and how to get them to show in the app?
When the Nook is connected to my laptop, in Calibre it shows all the books are in the device, but I can only see the 30.

Thanks
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You connected the HD+ via USB and sent the books or you connected via wireless using Calibre Companion and sent the books that way?

Here's the thread with the kind of FAQ/User Guide for CC.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188899
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have been trying all sorts of things, and now I'm so confused.
Firstly I connected the Nook and my laptop and then just tried to send books to the device. Some showed up but not all.
I have tried connecting wirelessly and plying around with the content server. I keep getting error messages about it not connecting as theres another device connected to Calibre - but there is not. The only thing plugged into my laptop is my Nook.
At the moment it shows almost all my books in the Companion but there are another 10 that just wont show up in the Companion. I have sent them repeatedly. There is nothing unusual about these books, they are just recently purchased, drm-free epubs.
In Calibre it says they are on the device but when I search in the device, the are not there.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Chapter One
Screen Swiper

GGrrr... I give. I wish I hadnt bought this stupid app.
When connected to my laptop, Calibre shows there should be 1072 books in the Companion app. However on the app itself there are only 1061. Those missing books dont show up in a search on my Nook, however they show clearly as on the device in Calibre, and I can click on them to open and read them.

I cant get the app to connect wirelessly as it insists another device is using Calibre, when the only thing connected is the Nook.

I thought the app would be as easy to use as the Calibre on my laptop is but its not.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
First, if you are unhappy with calibre companion (CC) we are happy to give you a refund. Simply send email from CC's about dialog to ask for it.

Regarding the message saying some other device is using calibre: this happens if calibre cannot "service" CC's connection in reasonable time. My guess is that you have something plugged into your laptop that calibre thinks might be a device, such as a phone being charged. It isn't necessary that whatever it is actually be a device for calibre to take time to look at it. If truly nothing is cabled to the laptop, including your nook, then we must look further. To repeat, to use a wireless connection nothing other than a mouse should be connected by cable to your laptop. In particular, your nook must not be connected via a cable.

Regarding the missing books: it isn't at all clear how you sent them given that CC apparently won't connect. CC can see only books sent via a wireless connection. As you say that calibre can see the books on the nook then it must be connected somehow, probably by cable, which as I said above will prevent CC from connecting wirelessly. If calibre is connected to the nook somehow, you can determine where books are on the nook from calibre's device view. Click on the book and then hover your mouse over the link in the book details window. You will see the path to the book on the nook. By default, CC stores books in the Calibre_Companion folder on the nook.

It would be helpful to know the version of calibre and CC you are running.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
GGrrr... I give. I wish I hadn't bought this stupid app.
Have patience it will be worth it.

Quote:
I thought the app would be as easy to use as the Calibre on my laptop is but its not.
For most folks this app is much easier than calibre, but sometimes little things can trip us all up. Once you stop connecting your Nook to your Laptop via the USB connection it will be much easier.

Quote:
Firstly I connected the Nook and my laptop and then just tried to send books to the device. Some showed up but not all.
Sending books via the USB cable is not using Calibre Companion.

If you want to use Calibre Companion do not connect your device to your computer via your USB cable. Calibre Companion is designed to connect to your device via wireless connection. If you have your device connected via USB you are preventing this connection from occurring.

Quote:
I have tried connecting wirelessly and plying around with the content server. I keep getting error messages about it not connecting as theres another device connected to Calibre - but there is not. The only thing plugged into my laptop is my Nook.
Your Nook is the other device. Disconnect the USB cable and try again.

Go to Calibre Companion's FAQ for detailed information on how to connect your device wirelessly to Calibre.

If the FAQ doesn't clear things up please feel free to ask for more assistance.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-29-2013 at 09:36 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
GGrrr... I give. I wish I hadnt bought this stupid app.
When connected to my laptop, Calibre shows there should be 1072 books in the Companion app. However on the app itself there are only 1061. Those missing books dont show up in a search on my Nook, however they show clearly as on the device in Calibre, and I can click on them to open and read them.

I cant get the app to connect wirelessly as it insists another device is using Calibre, when the only thing connected is the Nook.

Why the Grrr ?
CC cost less than a Latte at Starbucks

It is not like some of the US$200-300 pieces of hardware I have, that are gathering cat fur , which never worked quite right and turned out to not have any decent support.

CC works fine

Calibre expects that you NOT establish a Wireless connection to Calibre IF you have a WIRED (USB) connection.
You can only connect ONE (instance of a) device at a time.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Chapter One, CC is running smoothly on both my HD and HD+. Just follow the advice given above and you should get it to work fine as well.

There are two quirky things you should know about the HD/HD+ which might help you manage books on your device more easily:

1) By default CC puts books into the /mnt/sdcard/ directory. On the HD/HD+ that is the internal part. To get books uploaded to your micro sd card, you have to go into CC's settings and specify a path to /mnt/ext_sdcard.

2) There is a bug in the HD/HD+ firmware whereby deleting a folder that contains books from the device will still leave a "ghost" copy behind in the Nook's native library. These "ghost" books can't be opened or read, and they can't be deleted normally. And if you add the books back, the native library will show duplicates of the same book. To avoid this problem, you have to delete the books from the folder first. Then delete the folder.

CC is really a great app and makes managing all your books on your device a breeze.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
Chapter One
Screen Swiper

Thank you everyone. The problems are all fixed now. I'm not sure what was going on, I suspect a few different issues. But a friend came over and has now got it going properly.

My 'ggrrr' wasnt for the paltry price of the app, I was just frustrated that I couldnt work it out - by the time I posted that I'd been trying for about 4 hours to make it work.

Now that its all working properly, I love the app