Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Flolo
Flolo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Howto open case?

Unluckily my bebook fell, and now the display gives a picture that is similar to those of broken LCDs. The buttons work, something happens if I press the keys, but the display shows just black and white line, with a split in the type of the image. This split in the broken image looks visually like a crack, but the display looks fine (so no broken glass or similar). My hope is, that maybe just the controllerchip got broken, or some display connects get lost.

My main quesiton is: How do I open the case. on the backside I remove 4 screws (battery cover, and from three holes: top right, down left+right, top left hole seem not to contain a screw). But the case is still closed. Before I apply brute force, maybe someone here knows how to open it in a way, that it can be closed again.
Flolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
manifestor
Connoisseur
manifestor began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader, Aluratek Libre Pro
Why do you want to do it yourself? Are you sure you know how to repair it by yourself?
manifestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Flolo

I work at a technical university in the group "Embedded Systems and their applications". I hope this reduces your concerns :-) (An of course you need a higher degree in plastic case design, which I dont have, to open it)
Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flolo View Post
This split in the broken image looks visually like a crack, but the display looks fine (so no broken glass or similar). My hope is, that maybe just the controllerchip got broken, or some display connects get lost.
If the fault line has any curves in it, it is definitely a crack and not a controller disconnect. Usually the crack occurs on an inner layer so you will not be able to feel or see it on the outer layer. There is currently no place that offers replacement screens, so you will need to return it to BeBook (Endless Ideas) for a screen replacement. They will replace the screen for $175 or it's equivalent in your currency.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Lightbulb

Hi Flolo,

See http://openinkpot.org/wiki/V3Opening for details on how to open your V3 casing.

Cheers,

M
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 02:49 AM   #6
Flolo

I managed to open it, and indeed the glass is really broken (from the front it is not visible). As a new display is almost as expensive as a new reader, my first attempt is, to hope for Fortuna (ie. I hope for the Summer Giveaway).

@mvoosten: You saw the history of your link? I put it online for others, after I successfully opened it :-).
Old 06-25-2009, 03:26 AM   #7
joedevon
Enthusiast
joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I work at a technical university in the group "Embedded Systems and their applications".
That's awesome! Any chance the forum members could entice you to fix all the design/usability and freeze issues in the PRS 505?

Just a thought
joedevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:11 AM   #8
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
I managed to open it, and indeed the glass is really broken (from the front it is not visible). As a new display is almost as expensive as a new reader, my first attempt is, to hope for Fortuna (ie. I hope for the Summer Giveaway).

@mvoosten: You saw the history of your link? I put it online for others, after I successfully opened it :-).
Haha.. no I didn't look at the history before.. Great contribution!
I only searched on openinkpot for you because I knew there where some inside hardware pictures on the Wiki of the V3 so I figured someone must have opened one before and maybe published the way to do it. Seems they didn't.. but great you did! Thanks!
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote