Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #226
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Miner View Post
On one's other hand, one does get what one pays for, one supposes ...
Really? I paid £12 for my ebook copy of Lord of the Rings (a lot I know, but it is my favourite books after all), for that much I'd expect the book to be as good as the paper version.

If I'd paid £12 for the paper version, I'd also expect it to be free of these errors.

One is not getting what one has paid for.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #227
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
On one's other hand, one does get what one pays for, one supposes ...
One does not pay for an eBook full of errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #228
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One agrees with this statement. Which is why one has ... oups, one cannot say that here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One does not pay for an eBook full of errors.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #229
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't matter how much one pays for an eBook. If it was legally obtained, then it should be without errors that do not also exist in the current print edition.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #230
John the Miner
Enthusiast
John the Miner began at the beginning.

Device: Eco e-reader
Unfortunately. that depends on whether or not the "publishers" of the books use proofreaders; I don't think they do (as a matter of fact, I'm sure they don't) and it seems, from what I've read in the short time I've been reading these threads, that this profound fact has suddenly burst upon the ebook world to the amazement of the buyers of same (at a much cheaper price than the old-fashioned book store's price).
As I said earlier, you pay for what you get.
People continually letting the world know about how they're "proofreading" ebooks and correcting the mistakes they find, maybe in hopes of getting the suppliers to fix them up and return whatever they paid for them, are missing the whole point ... that is, the publishers couldn't care less about the literals their books contain. Why should they?
They've already got your money.
Wasn't it a Mister Barnum who said, "There's one born every minute"?
There are always buyers out there who will pay less and expect more.
And I'd love to compare the results of what amateurs consider as "proofreading" to what a professional can find in the same text.
John the Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 05:07 AM   #231
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
And I'd love to compare the results of what amateurs consider as "proofreading" to what a professional can find in the same text.
Please feel free to use any of my Dickens novels here at MR as examples.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #232
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
People continually letting the world know about how they're "proofreading" ebooks and correcting the mistakes they find, maybe in hopes of getting the suppliers to fix them up and return whatever they paid for them, are missing the whole point ... that is, the publishers couldn't care less about the literals their books contain. Why should they?
Since we're in a LotR thread, I hope you've noticed that the publishers of the LotR ebook DID care about the errors and HAVE fixed them (well, all but one).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #233
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
(well, all but one)
That we know of.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #234
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Unfortunately. that depends on whether or not the "publishers" of the books use proofreaders; I don't think they do (as a matter of fact, I'm sure they don't) and it seems, from what I've read in the short time I've been reading these threads, that this profound fact has suddenly burst upon the ebook world to the amazement of the buyers of same (at a much cheaper price than the old-fashioned book store's price).
As I said earlier, you pay for what you get.
Wasn't it a Mister Barnum who said, "There's one born every minute"?
There are always buyers out there who will pay less and expect more.
We don't buy eBooks and hope they don't have any errors. We buy eBooks and they shouldn't have any extra errors introduced. Why is it you think we are suckers for buying eBooks? That's rather insulting. You should be apologizing to everyone who's ever bought an eBook.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #235
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We don't buy eBooks and hope they don't have any errors. We buy eBooks and they shouldn't have any extra errors introduced. Why is it you think we are suckers for buying eBooks? That's rather insulting. You should be apologizing to everyone who's ever bought an eBook.
Ebooks are like anything else that is bought: you expect them to be of a minimum saleable standard, compared to the rest of the products a seller puts out.

The difference is with a totally amateur seller, where they state that their attempts are possibly not going to be brilliant.

Edited to add: for example, with the Harper Collins edition of the Lord of the Rings (the publishers of a money spinning collection), I'd expect the epub text to be at least as error free as the paper version.

Last edited by CallOfCth'reader; 06-16-2012 at 07:10 PM.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #236
John the Miner
Enthusiast

So, if people find some literals in an ebook, they can call themselves "proofreaders"?

That's like saying if you slap a Band-Aid on a cut, you can call yourself a doctor ...
Old 06-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #237
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
So, if people find some literals in an ebook, they can call themselves "proofreaders"?

That's like saying if you slap a Band-Aid on a cut, you can call yourself a doctor ...
Seriously, what is your problem?
Old 06-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #238
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finding errors and misspellings in a book is all "proofreading" is about whereas slapping a band-aid on a cut is a very small and insignificant fraction of what being a doctor is all about, therefore your comparison is a fallacy.

Quote:

Old 06-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #239
John the Miner
Enthusiast

Oh, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

I thought we were talking about "proofreaders", those people who read words and get paid for finding mistakes in them, not those people who read words, find mistakes in them and call themselves "proofreaders".

But then, after being in this trade since 1957, what do I know?

Last edited by John the Miner; 06-17-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #240
Quexos
Member Retired

The difference would then be "professional proofreaders" on one side and amateur proofreaders on the other. What is your point ?
Because mine would be that in this issue, it seems amateurs are often better at proofreading than professionals. The real question is why ...

Quote:
Oh, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

I thought we were talking about "proofreaders", those people who read words and get paid for finding mistakes in them, not those people who read words, find mistakes in them and call themselves "proofreaders".

But then, after being in this trade since 1957, what do I know?