Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #31
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
hey OP. I'm basically in your backyard- over in the festival city. *peeks in window*

I never had no hairline cracks but I've had some bad luck with bunged up kindles.
the last time I bought a k3 and the battery was toast, so they sent another.
this time an ink capsule seem to be exploded, leaving a splotch on the screen.
bleh.. long story short, I had them both at the same time so I ended up throwing my arms in the air and cracking them open, putting the bad battery into the one with the bad screen and sending that one back. I'm happy with the result. Seems more solid than either of them were for some reason..

I've also had to send a DXG back for a bad screen and get a k2 replaced after it froze.
Maybe kindles just aren't hardy enough to stand the moose transport up here, eh?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #32
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie View Post
.... However it has every so often, just recently started to either; turn back on after I have turned it off ;or do a re-start (the amazon/tree silhouette logo screen comes on).
Cathie, is your Kindle in one of the Amazon leather covers? If so, that could be the cause of the spontaneous restarts (a problem with the mounting hinges). There have been quite a few reports of that problem with the unlighted cover, and I've read of a few instances with the lighted cover as well.

If you do have one of the Amazon covers, you could try taking your Kindle out of it and see if the problem continues. If the cover proves to be the problem, Amazon customer service will help you get a replacement cover.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #33
TtheBee
TtheBee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3.1, Wi-Fi, B008
Lightbulb

I have a Kindle 3 (wifi model, 3.0, now 3.1), bought late last year. It's had a hairline crack from day one, on the grey plastic at the bottom-left of the screen. I'm sure it's getting longer, too! It doesn't seem to be causing any technical difficulties, so I'll leave well alone.
TtheBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #34
theblop
theblop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Hi,

My kindle (UK 3G model) also developed a hairline crack on the bottom right corner: http://img811.imageshack.us/i/img2299n.jpg/

I wonder if this common problem is due to the way we handle it: in my case most of the time I hold the kindle on the bottom right (I am right handed) and balance it between my thumb and index finger, right about where the crack appeared.

Even though it didn't bother me too much, I decided to replace it so that Amazon doesn't get away so easily with that flaw.

To their credit the replacement procedure in the UK is very efficient: initiate a support call from amazon's website, explain the problem and the next day a replacement should turn up via DHL. Then just post back the old kindle in the new kindle's box with a printed pre-paid stamp label.
theblop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #35
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hi all,

Just had my kindle replaced for this very same crack. I was on here looking for a good pdf-to-mobi conversion tool when I noticed this thread.

Amazon was wonderful--they said, "Well, we'll ship you a replacement, and it'll arrive tomorrow w/ packaging and postage to ship the old one back." I imagine they make bank off of the e-book sales, so they can afford to be generous w/ their warranty. Either way, I'm thrilled w/ their response.

-djulian
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 06:44 AM   #36
skol
skol began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi,

Was interested to read about the cracks, so took a look at mine with fingers crossed; but there it was, a crack in the bottom left hand corner. Will run with it for the next few weeks and then get in touch with Amazon.

Thanks for the warning, as I would have never seen it as the K3 lives inside its case.
skol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #37
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Wow. It seems this problem is rather common to K3's if so many people are noticing it.

My wife and I have K2's, but I'm not sure we would notice the problem for a long time anyway even if we had K3's instead, as we both have DecalGirl skins on our Kindles.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #38
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Cathie, is your Kindle in one of the Amazon leather covers? If so, that could be the cause of the spontaneous restarts (a problem with the mounting hinges). There have been quite a few reports of that problem with the unlighted cover, and I've read of a few instances with the lighted cover as well.

If you do have one of the Amazon covers, you could try taking your Kindle out of it and see if the problem continues. If the cover proves to be the problem, Amazon customer service will help you get a replacement cover.
Fraid not. I have a M-Edge cover, which I use more or less just to transport my k3. I tend to read it 'naked' so to speak. I am thinking of getting a skin for it but I am having trouble deciding on the artwork
I am also noticing that every once in a while when I 'turn the page' I stay on the same screen. So far these are minor issues and intermittent that I can live with.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:45 AM   #39
NdB
NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3g (One for me, One for the missus) and an iPhone each.
Yep. Mark me up as another cracked K3 from the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I've had the K3 for about 7 months. I checked for the crack when I first spotted this thread some months ago and it wasn't there then. Looks like it appeared in the last month or so but I really noticed it in the last couple of weeks.

Looks like it's swapsie time... at least it's good to know this is considered a replaceable fault.
-a
NdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #40
MikiH
MikiH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
And Another!
I have had my Kindle since Christmas, it has been treated with kid gloves and been in a case the whole time. I noticed over the weekend that it has 2 cracks, both seem to begin from the bottom of the screen. It is a graphite one, so that may indeed be the problem.
I contacted Amazon, they called me straight back at 23;00 on a Sunday and were very polite' though the chap said he had never heard of this happening, hmmmmm
I am now waiting for a replacement (2 days), I'll post when I get the new one and let you all know how thereplacement is and if the service is good.
I do hope that this is a batch thing, I have grown very fond of my Kindle and would really hate for this to keep happening.

Miki
MikiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #41
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
I also have these small cracks in both the lower right and left corner. They were not there when I got it. I guess it could be because of changes in temperatures over time. I don't mind it, though.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 06-19-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #42
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool not limited to the graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiH View Post
And Another!
I have had my Kindle since Christmas, it has been treated with kid gloves and been in a case the whole time. I noticed over the weekend that it has 2 cracks, both seem to begin from the bottom of the screen. It is a graphite one, so that may indeed be the problem.
I contacted Amazon, they called me straight back at 23;00 on a Sunday and were very polite' though the chap said he had never heard of this happening, hmmmmm
I am now waiting for a replacement (2 days), I'll post when I get the new one and let you all know how the replacement is and if the service is good.
I do hope that this is a batch thing, I have grown very fond of my Kindle and would really hate for this to keep happening.

Miki
that's not limited to the graphite model. i have a friend who got a white kindle 3 for christmas and it has developed those same cracks starting in both of the lower screen corners. i'm making an assumption when i say that i believe that the cracks are related to when the device was made and not the color.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:25 AM   #43
Macthelist
Macthelist began at the beginning.

yes, Kindle 3s are still cracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
that's not limited to the graphite model. i have a friend who got a white kindle 3 for christmas and it has developed those same cracks starting in both of the lower screen corners. i'm making an assumption when i say that i believe that the cracks are related to when the device was made and not the color.
It's happened to a third K3 for me. The last time I contacted Amazon they admitted that it was a known problem...

OTOH, I just let it go on my latest K3. It's getting longer but doesn't seem to be otherwise a problem.
Macthelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #44
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
I have the same little crack. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago.

Grey Kindle 3, ordered the day they went on sale. I'm in Australia if that makes a difference.

It's not enough damage for me to worry about. At the price these things cost now they are almost disposable. No doubt Amazon will bring out a better Kindle 4 very soon and my Kindle 3 will become a gift or spare.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:22 AM   #45
NdB
NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NdB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3g (One for me, One for the missus) and an iPhone each.
Well, I haven't called to get mine replaced yet, and I now have another fine crack - This time it's a vertical crack between L and SYM. Should get off my backside and give em a call really...
NdB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian, crack, kindle 3