Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
jdh
Enthusiast
jdh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle3, Voyage
Dorothy Sayers blooper

I just finished rereading Strong Poison, enjoyed it a lot, and have started reading Have His Carcase again. On the second page I was surprised to read that Harriet Vane, who was 29 years old in Strong Poison, is now 28. However, in spite of this minor author's oversight, I recommend both mysteries, which also feature a romantic subplot that continues in Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon.
jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
A number of Sayer's works are available here at Mobileread, btw, free and lovingly formatted.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
jdh
Enthusiast

I noticed the Dorothy Sayers ebook uploads, but unfortunately they are life+50 (except for Whose Body) and not public domain in the US.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
A number of Sayer's works are available here at Mobileread, btw, free and lovingly formatted.
True, but not of much relevance to those of us who live in life+70 countries, where they are still very much under copyright protection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
re: Sayers - Sorry about that. But for those eligible, a gentle reminder.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I wonder if it is actually a blooper myself. I mean who is to say that the author didn't decide to write about her character when she was a year younger than in the earlier book. A.C. Doyle penned Hound of the Baskervilles after The Final Problem but set it at a time before then and C.S. Forster didn't stay linear when writing about Horatio Hornblower I understand. That is he wrote out of sequence as far as his characters age etc. from one book to another.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:13 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True, but not of much relevance to those of us who live in life+70 countries, where they are still very much under copyright protection.
That's all right, Harry. I won't tell on you if you don't tell on me.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:56 AM   #8
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I wonder if it is actually a blooper myself. I mean who is to say that the author didn't decide to write about her character when she was a year younger than in the earlier book.
In the book where she's 29, she meets lord Peter Wimsey. In the book where she's 28, she already knows him.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
That's all right, Harry. I won't tell on you if you don't tell on me.

Regards, Alex
I have the whole series as audio books, narrated by Ian Carmichael (who played Lord Peter Wimsey on British TV in the 1970s). Extremely well done.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
... Harriet Vane, who was 29 years old in Strong Poison, is now 28. .
Well spotted.

I just checked the printed editions. It's the same there, so we can't blame it on a transcription error in the ebooks.

Still, it's a small error in what are otherwise excellent stories.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
jdh
Enthusiast

Quote:
I have the whole series as audio books, narrated by Ian Carmichael (who played Lord Peter Wimsey on British TV in the 1970s). Extremely well done.
I agree, Ian Carmichael was an excellent Lord Peter Wimsey. There was another actor in that role in a later series, but he didn't quite measure up (at least for me). I associate Ian Carmichael with Wimsey as I do Basil Rathbone with Sherlock Holmes, Raymond Burr with Perry Mason, and Richard Greene with Robin Hood.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:01 AM   #12
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
For audiobooks, I must recommend Five Red Herrings read by Patrick Malahide, with every character speaking with a different accent and manner of speaking, so one always knows who speaks. It's a pity he only narrated this one book.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
I agree, Ian Carmichael was an excellent Lord Peter Wimsey. There was another actor in that role in a later series, but he didn't quite measure up (at least for me). I associate Ian Carmichael with Wimsey as I do Basil Rathbone with Sherlock Holmes, Raymond Burr with Perry Mason, and Richard Greene with Robin Hood.
Same here - but the fountain scene in the skintight harlequin costume may have been a mistake...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Same here - but the fountain scene in the skintight harlequin costume may have been a mistake...
To what are you referring?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
To what are you referring?
Ian Carmichael diving off the fountain in Murder Must Advertise. I think Sayers probably envisioned her hero as a bit thinner.

It was Carmichael's Lord Peter that started me reading Sayers, though, so I have fond memories of those programs.

Last edited by wayrad; 10-17-2010 at 08:33 AM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote