Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
fdp
fdp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Slight Screen Burn-in?

I have noticed that there is a slight image burn-in when changing pages or turning off the reader. This is almost unnoticable with text, but pops up when pictures or menus are used (especially greyscales). The image burn in lasts from a few seconds to a few minutes. I honestly don't mind it that much, but I'm curious if other people have the same issue.

Have to admit despite this minor bother I already love the reader.

Thanks,
-Joel
fdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
JohnB
Enthusiast
JohnB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, iPAQ 4700, Rocket Ebook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdp
I have noticed that there is a slight image burn-in when changing pages or turning off the reader. This is almost unnoticable with text, but pops up when pictures or menus are used (especially greyscales). The image burn in lasts from a few seconds to a few minutes. I honestly don't mind it that much, but I'm curious if other people have the same issue.

Have to admit despite this minor bother I already love the reader.

Thanks,
-Joel
There is an alleged problem with image retention with e-ink displays. I hear that's why, when turning pages, the Sony reader first goes all black, then displays the new page - sort of an "erase" step.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yep, that's normally called "ghosting". The only place I've seen it be a little bit of a problem is with manga. But even there it's not too bad on the Reader. If you had a text page that had menu remnants on it, I guess you could always go forward one page and back to clear it out some more.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:08 AM   #4
evil_bunny
Enthusiast
evil_bunny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony T1, iPhone 5S, iPad 3rd Gen
Or ... if you go to the in store display and notice that when powered off the center of the display is very grey ...
evil_bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Yep, that's normally called "ghosting". The only place I've seen it be a little bit of a problem is with manga. But even there it's not too bad on the Reader. If you had a text page that had menu remnants on it, I guess you could always go forward one page and back to clear it out some more.
I've noticed that when the Reader is connected to a PC with "Connect" running, and you exit Connect so the "Stop" sign disappears from the Reader screen, there's a clear "ghost" of the "Stop" sign on the screen. It disappears as soon as you unplug the USB cable so that the menu screen appears.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert