Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Kindle DX as a web browser

This image is from the Kindle DX user manual.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BrowserSample.gif
Views:	1995
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	28520

The original Kindle was too small, but I could see using this Kindle as a web browser that has a wicked long battery life and comes with free internet access (at least until a couple million people realize the same thing I did and Amazon starts charging us).
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Well, maybe, but even with the K2, the browser is really slow loading so is not a deal maker for me. Maybe if they put in a higher end processor, then we could talk!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The DX has the current high end screen controller. That's where the bottleneck is in speed. The speed of the eink screen/controller is only so fast.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
with the web browser on the larger DX, doesn't this make paid subscription to blogs and newspapers via Kindle pointless since u can just go to the webpage on the device? I already have the WSJ online.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Websurfing on e-ink is painfully slow and eats the battery. I might use it in a pinch but I'd rather read web stuff on my smartphone. This is certainly better than the 6" screen but not good enough for someone as impatient as me.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i think i'm going to cancel my print subscription to the WSJ after my Kindle DX comes. I have the online subscription also. That should save me $100 per year! Assuming I upgrade every 2 years, that just saved me $200!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
markbot
Guru

oh darn, i just remembered that I don't live in NYC at th emoment but will be moving back shortly....and when I do I won't be able to surf the newspaper webpages in the subway....which is where I'd be naturally reading the newspaper. so i guess it doesn't actually replace the subscription model entirely. unless i figure out a way to store all the WSJ.com webpages easily and automatically so that by the time on in the subway, it'll be ready to read.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Needs built in Wimax (I'm in a wimax area)
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote