Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Reading Off a Motorla Xoom

We picked up a Motorola Xoom over the weekend and I had a question about it. My hubby was interested in downloading a reading app like Kindle and reading on it. I warned him he might get a big headache as it's backlit.

Does anyone successfully read off a tablet with no probs at all?
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
We picked up a Motorola Xoom over the weekend and I had a question about it. My hubby was interested in downloading a reading app like Kindle and reading on it. I warned him he might get a big headache as it's backlit.

I don't like it, but lots of people here claim they are fine with it (though the e-ink crowd is a clear majority). Just download the Kindle app, put some free PD books on it and try it!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:

That is an old discussion: some people do, some people don't ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
I own and use an Asus Transformer with the cool reader app which works well (I am using my tablet right now to read this forum and write this reply). The primary source of headaches comes from an overly bright screen in a dark room. I tend to prefer eink over lcd, but if you are conscious of the tablet's settings then you can reduce the issues that can come up.

There are night settings that can give you a darker background and reduce the lighting. I admit to still having problems with long term use of an lcd screen, but there is no reason that a tablet can't be used as the primary reading device.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:

All depends: can you read for, say, 15 minutes or a half-hour of black text on a white background on your computer without your eyes starting to itch or feel tired? (go read a few long articles on Wikipedia and try not to let your eyes be distracted by other things to give them a rest) If so, you can handle reading on a tablet.

But since you already have the tablet, just install a reader and download a freebie somewhere to test. *shrug*
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can read with an iPad no problem. I use Bluefire Reader as it's the best app for reading ePub. There is an Android version.

Since you have a Kobo and that uses ePub, there's no reason to use the Kindle app. Use Bluefire and you can both read the same eBooks. Bluefire supports library eBooks and the same DRMed eBooks your Kobo can display.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I have a Xoom with the Kindle reader app installed. The Xoom's 16:9 aspect ratio is ideal for reading - much the same dimensions as a HB book. That said, I only use it to read magazines or, on occasion, a technical publication or a book containing a lot of illustrations. Reading via backlight is not my preference but that is strictly one's personal choice. My prefered devices for reading are: is 1) Kindle DXG. 2) Kindle Touch, 3) Fire.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I have a Xoom with the Kindle reader app installed. The Xoom's 16:9 aspect ratio is ideal for reading - much the same dimensions as a HB book. That said, I only use it to read magazines or, on occasion, a technical publication or a book containing a lot of illustrations. Reading via backlight is not my preference but that is strictly one's personal choice. My prefered devices for reading are: is 1) Kindle DXG. 2) Kindle Touch, 3) Fire.
But you have a Kindle device and a library in Kindle format. The OP has a Kobo Touch and ePub eBooks. So for the OP, using the Bluefire Reader app makes much more sense then using the Kindle app. That said, one thing I really dislike about the Kindle app is the forced large margins. Bluefire has very small margins and looks a lot better on the screen. Also, if there is an Android or iOS phone in the mix now or in the future, Kindle will not work well as the margins eat way way too much of the limited screen size.

This is not a put-down of the Kindle app. It's just that (IMHO) I feel that Amazon made a design choice that I feel doesn't work.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you have a Kindle device and a library in Kindle format. The OP has a Kobo Touch and ePub eBooks. So for the OP, using the Bluefire Reader app makes much more sense then using the Kindle app. That said, one thing I really dislike about the Kindle app is the forced large margins. Bluefire has very small margins and looks a lot better on the screen. Also, if there is an Android or iOS phone in the mix now or in the future, Kindle will not work well as the margins eat way way too much of the limited screen size.

This is not a put-down of the Kindle app. It's just that (IMHO) I feel that Amazon made a design choice that I feel doesn't work.
In this case, the software is less important than the hardware and reading on a backlit device, IMHO. The OP can install whatever they prefer for reading. My point was that as nice as the Xoom is -- e-ink is better for reading, IMO.

BTW, my library is not exclusively Kindle format.

Last edited by Skydog; 04-09-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm sitting here with the TV on (LCD). I have the laptop on (LCD) reading MR. Neither is a problem. I have an iPad (LCD) that I use for reading. Again, no problem. I do have my 650 that I use for reading. No problem there.

One thing I find with the iPad is to turn down the brightness. That works.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
MorganM
Fanatic

Hi,

The reader app is for my partner as yes I have a KT and my partner is not interested in a dedicated ereader.

I will have a look at the bluefire reader.

Just out of curiosity how does one change the ratio on the xoom?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Hi,

Just out of curiosity how does one change the ratio on the xoom?
One cannot.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #14
androm
androm began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'd recommend installing a reader app which supports drm (BlueFire and Aldiko does). And if you also need an easy access to quality ebooks - try ub reader.
androm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #15
MorganM
Fanatic

I think I must be a fusspot. I have been through several android reader app and I don't like any of them. I just wanted something simple that allows drm too. I will just let my hubby choose and stick with my kt.