Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
kornykova
kornykova began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Help! I accidentally removed one of my Calibre libraries - how can I get it back?

Hi!

I have 2 Calibre libraries, my kindle one and my PC one.

I wanted simply to "Quick switch" between them but, horror of horrors(!), the mouse pointer somehow flashed to "Remove library" and without realising it I had left-clicked the PC library.

Calibre then told me that my library was gone but that I'd need to delete the books manually if I wanted to.

At the very least, Calibre should have given a prompt ("Are you sure you want to delete?"!!!) ... but it didn't. My library of several thousand books was gone (but fortunately all the books (and metadata.db) are still there!

The question is - can I use this metadata to 'restore' my library? Or is there some other way.
I really don't want to create a new library and have to import them all again.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I've no clue how I can easily restore the PC library.

As an aside, it would have been nice if Calibre had asked for confirmation before just deleting the library!

Look forward to hearing your solutions (if there are any).

Regards

korny
kornykova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornykova View Post
I wanted simply to "Quick switch" between them but, horror of horrors(!), the mouse pointer somehow flashed to "Remove library" and without realising it I had left-clicked the PC library.

Calibre then told me that my library was gone but that I'd need to delete the books manually if I wanted to.
It says this because it just removed the library from the menu not the computer.

Quote:
At the very least, Calibre should have given a prompt ("Are you sure you want to delete?"!!!) ... but it didn't. My library of several thousand books was gone (but fortunately all the books (and metadata.db) are still there!
Just use the switch library feature to point anew to the PC library and it will be back in the menu. Since it doesn't actually delete your library there is no reason to ask "Are you sure you want to delete?", is there?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
kornykova
kornykova began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks dwanthny for your quick reply.

The problem was that the PC library was removed from the menu so I could not see it to Quick Switch to it!

However, as you rightly said, the "Switch/Create library" option allows me to point to it again (using the button "Use the previously existing library at the new location"). I incorrectly thought the only was to switch was using Quick switch!

Duhhhhh - I feel a little silly now!

But thanks again, I won't be making that mistake again!

cheers
kornykova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
You're Welcome and welcome to Mobileread too.

Quote:
Duhhhhh - I feel a little silly now!
Don't feel silly. The only reason it didn't delete your library is because in the past (even with a big "Are you sure you want to delete?" prompt) folks deleted their library then got very upset when calibre actually deleted their library. The remove from the menu feature is the result of others before you.

Glad to hear it all worked out OK.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote