Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Writer2ePub

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
BMaloney
Connoisseur
BMaloney doesn't litterBMaloney doesn't litter

Device: PRS-650
W2E extension will not install

Hello there. I have been trying in vain for several days now to download the Writer2ePub extension for OOo.

I know that it can be found here. And I also know that, according to the web page, it should be really easy: "Just double click on the dowloaded file, it will install or replace the old W2E version." But this doesn't happen. Instead, I get a .rar folder filled with unexecutable files.

Am I doing something wrong?

I also realise that this is probably not the best place to ask for help of this kind, but I tried registering with OOo to be able to post a comment on the project page there. As luck would have it, an error occured during my registration, so now I can't even log in over there at all! That was well over 24 hours ago, and no one has answered my desperate emails yet...

Thanks very much for any help - in advance!
BMaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
BMaloney
Connoisseur

Still no word from OOo about my blocked username/email, so I can't ask them for help. I'm hoping someone will come along here and have an idea.

I was trying to decide between editing texts in OOo and then making the ePub versus cleaning up the ePub with Sigil. The latter was very complicated and my head hurts, but I figured out how to make a ToC with Sigil!

My experience with OO has really been nil, since I can't even get the "save as ePub" extension to install properly!

Sigil 1; Writer2ePub 0

Last edited by BMaloney; 02-12-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 04:16 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What Version of OO?
What Operating System?

Did you try the alternate instruction?
Quote:
Installation
Just double click on the dowloaded file, it will install or replace the old W2E version.
Otherwise, please open the Extension Manager from the Tools menu and add the extension from there.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
BMaloney
Connoisseur

Hello theducks! I knew a kind-hearted soul would be along eventually!

I'm using OpenOffice.org version 3.3.0 (OOO330m20 Build:9567).

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium. Service Pack 2 (64 bits)

I tried using the extension manager through the OOo toolbar, but that is simply a link ("Get more extensions online...") that takes you to the page I linked to in my first post in this thread. The same problem occurs.

Thanks very much for your time!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaloney View Post
Hello theducks! I knew a kind-hearted soul would be along eventually!

I'm using OpenOffice.org version 3.3.0 (OOO330m20 Build:9567).

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium. Service Pack 2 (64 bits)

I tried using the extension manager through the OOo toolbar, but that is simply a link ("Get more extensions online...") that takes you to the page I linked to in my first post in this thread. The same problem occurs.

Thanks very much for your time!
Sorry, I am down rev all the way
Win XP SP3 (32 bits), OO 3.2.1
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:

Try the "Add" Button in Extension Manager and navigate to your downloaded .oxt file.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You may want to try removing OO and reinstalling because my system is exactly like yours in Vista 64 bit and OO 3.3. I downloaded with Firefox and doubleclicked on downloads and it started up OO. I did not need to run as administrator as I recall. You might try disabling your antivirus temporarily or changing your firewall to learn mode, so that you know if it is stopping something. Comodo Firewall, for instance, doesn't just stop internet traffic, it can gum up applications as well.

I DO have a problem with the way Writer to Epub locks up if it does not like epub, but it installs and is evoked, for me anyway, through the Macro menu. I did get it to work on a different epub. Sigil is great as far it goes, but with no spell check, it is hard to work on converted PDFs. That is what I need OO- writer to epub for--full editing. facilities.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Striegel
Striegel began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook mini
I assume something went wrong at OOo. To install just simply save the file on a known place and then rename writer2epub.zip to writer2epub.oxt. Now you can doubleclik the file....

Last edited by Striegel; 02-15-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Striegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
BMaloney
Connoisseur

Hello everyone. Sorry for taking so long to get back.

I now have the writer2epub extension working. I re-installed OO via Firefox and then used the "Add" option in the Extension Manager.

I was also having troubles with my bittorrent program, and it turns out that my firewall was causing all the trouble. Given what mrmikel said, I imagine that might have been the problem all along. I now am using avast!

Thanks for all your help!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:40 AM   #10
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
Quote:
I get a .rar folder filled with unexecutable files.

Am I doing something wrong?
Hi,

You probably get a .zip file, because windows renames it during download.

Change the extension from .zip to .oxt and launch it with OOo

Luke
eBookLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #11
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Actually, I had a similar problem on Mac OS X, using LibreOffice. I doubleclicked the .oxt file (it really was .oxt, not .zip). LibreOffice came up but didn't install the extension. I also tried Open With on the file: same result. I only could get it installed with the Extension Manager from the Tools menu, and then choosing Add...
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #12
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
Actually, I had a similar problem on Mac OS X, using LibreOffice. I doubleclicked the .oxt file (it really was .oxt, not .zip). LibreOffice came up but didn't install the extension. I also tried Open With on the file: same result. I only could get it installed with the Extension Manager from the Tools menu, and then choosing Add...
I developed W2E under Mac OSX and LibreOffice… Try to drag and drop the .oxt over LibO

Luke
Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Afterwards I found that LibreOffice was trying to recover some files. Apparently when it is in this state it doesn't react to requests to install the extension unless this is done explicitely from the menu. I guess drag and drop doesn't help in that case.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #14
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator

Try to remove previous version of W2E using extension manager, reboot OOo/LibO, install the new via extension manager and reboot one more time.

This can solve, otherwise you can have problems in your OOo/LibO

Luke
Old 11-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
lingchi9
Banned
lingchi9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
i also have this problem..
lingchi9 is offline   Reply With Quote