Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
fiammetta
fiammetta began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650 (soon)
Wink Silver rush

This thread is for those who fell for the silver version of Sony 650 but live in the US where this color is not (yet?) available or, like me, humbly reside in the countries that Sony left out in the cold by deciding not to sell there any readers at all (and who planned to order one in the States).
So did you get it? Then details, please. Which country (Canada, UK, other) did you choose, how much did you have to overpay? [was it worth it? ] Or maybe you accepted it and purchased a red/black reader or switched to the 350? Then let's rant an rave a little!

Personally I have two more weeks to wait and see before pre-birthday time. But if it is not released in the US, I'll probably go for "buying in Canada" option. From this arises a question to mobilereaders from Canada. Do you have a VAT for Internet purchases, and if so, is it included in the price or added (what a surprise! ) at the checkout?
fiammetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
GhostDreamer
GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.

Device: PRS 650
I have the silver one - black and red versions were also available on the sonystyle canadian site (preferred silver over black or red). I live in Canada and my guess is that you don't. I don't know if you can order online from the Canadian site. If you can't, you may want to try calling in to order the silver. Living in Canada, I have to pay the HST on the item but it was free shipping. It cost $249 CAD.
GhostDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
Maybe we could organize some sort of swap shop and pair off people from different zones who can't get the color they want. Everyone buys a reader for the other guy and they do an exchange.
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
flyingpostman
flyingpostman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I ended up with a red 505 last year because it was already discontinued and that was all that was left. I also ended up with a red 650 because it was the only one in stock and due to my own weakness, I just couldn't wait until they stocked the silver and black. The red colour is different from the 505, a bit lighter and more metallic, I preferred the red of the 505. I was regretting my purchase a little. However I got the red cover last week (which is two tone) and it really sets this thing off. Now I can't imagine having a black case with a black or silver reader, the red reader and case are just so great looking.
flyingpostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
fiammetta
fiammetta began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650 (soon)
GhostDreamer
Thank you for clarifying the issue with the HST. You're right, I'm from Russia, so, will have to recourse to a "private reseller" and pay some additional percent besides the tax. But, well, whims are pricey.

lord_blackfang
A nice idea. I cannot contribute to it though, no Sony readers are officialy sold here. But I suppose this kind of exchange can be set up at the MR's Flea market.

flyingpostman
Good for you! It's great that you did not end up disappointed, not to say more. I actually love the red colour, but already have too much of it in clothes and other stuff. But now that you pictured it so well.. Hmm.

Apparently not so many people are interested in getting a silver 650, probably most of them just live in Canada (good marketing, Sony!)
fiammetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert