Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
pyatrus
Enthusiast
pyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toys

Device: Nexus 7 (2013); Sony PRS-505; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Last stable version for Windows/PRS-505 ?

Of course, Calibre is a great product BUT I don't want to be a beta tester (done that too many times). I especially don't like having to rebuild my DB with all the comments, metadata, etc.

For the time being, I've given up on v0.7.x, and have gone back to v0.6.55, but it too has problems (with building the catalog). I have a 1200 item catalog and Calibre always hangs at 67% using 100% of the CPU with nothing else running. I close the process after 4 or 5 hours, assuming giving it more time won't do anything. Also the v0.7.x versions seem very slow.

Can anyone recommend the most recent version that works with the Sony PRS-505 and where the catalog function works?

Thanks in advance!
pyatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyatrus View Post
Can anyone recommend the most recent version that works with the Sony PRS-505 and where the catalog function works?
That would be calibre 0.7.2.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Of course, Calibre is a great product BUT I don't want to be a beta tester (done that too many times). I especially don't like having to rebuild my DB with all the comments, metadata, etc.
I didn't want to be a beta tester either that is why I waited. There are only minor things left to correct, most of which will be in the next release. There is nothing though that has indicated any problem with the database having any issues.

I have used Calibre since just after 0.4.?? I have never had a database issue caused by calibre. That said, I do back up my database just in case.

Quote:
I concur with Worldwalker. I use Windows XP sp3 and Calibre 0.7.2 and a PRS-505.

I just created a catalog for a 1500 book library. It took 10 minutes but it did complete. You might want to enquire in this thread about why your catalog is stuck in some endless loop.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
pyatrus
Enthusiast
pyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toys

Device: Nexus 7 (2013); Sony PRS-505; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

For me (and I verified it today) Calibre v.0.6.46 is the most recent version that will create the catalog for me (1310 items in 11 min, 11 sec). Something was changed after that that breaks my catalog. I've tried the v.0.7.0x versions and none of them work. I went back and tried some of the later v.0.6.xx versions and the most recent version that works for me is v.0.6.46. I guess when I have a day or two to kill, I'll try the hacks that the pointer goes to. . . :-)

I guess with "progress" we lose some things (e.g., my custom news feeds as well).

PS I think the current Calibre version numbering is missing a zero, e.g., v.0.7.0.2, not v.0.7.2 (if it is to be consistent with previous releases and so that the file name sort will work).
pyatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I just created a catalog for a 1500 book library. It took 10 minutes but it did complete. You might want to enquire in this thread about why your catalog is stuck in some endless loop.
For me (and I verified it today) Calibre v.0.6.46 is the most recent version that will create the catalog for me (1310 items in 11 min, 11 sec). Something was changed after that that breaks my catalog.

I guess when I have a day or two to kill, I'll try the hacks that the pointer goes to. . . :-)
Did you ask for help in the above linked thread? The link above doesn't point to hacks it is the official thread for creating catalogs by the person who created most of the code for this feature. Instead of moving around to different versions, ask for help in correcting the problem in the thread that handles this kind of help. There may have been a bug that got into the process and asking could help correct the code.

Quote:
PS I think the current Calibre version numbering is missing a zero, e.g., v.0.7.0.2, not v.0.7.2 (if it is to be consistent with previous releases and so that the file name sort will work).
The current version is 0.7.4 and looking on sourceforge at the previous versions back to 0.6.17 shows a consistent numbering scheme that does not include the extra zero you're referring to.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert