Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #46
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slex View Post
Actually, there is an e-ink device running Android 2.3 and is priced at 150 EUR.
Hey! I got an interesting answer about this device ... I asked about confirmation and more details.

---
Hi Jotas,

Please explain to me more clearly which application you want to install on your e-book with Android.

Usually it is no problem to download third party applications from Google play on this E-book with 6 inch and Android support.

-- Best Regards,
Krum Kostov
Product Manager
Digital World Ltd.

---

EDIT: OK, I think I got the original supplier (actual product, running Android 4.0.4), and since this is totally off-topic in this forum, I stop writing about ... details here ).

Last edited by jotas; 01-22-2013 at 02:39 PM.
jotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #47
rchiang
Connoisseur
rchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to all

Device: Kindle PW3, iPad Pro 9.7"
Pretty nice no-name device...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotas View Post
Hey! I got an interesting answer about this device ... I asked about confirmation and more details.

EDIT: OK, I think I got the original supplier (actual product, running Android 4.0.4), and since this is totally off-topic in this forum, I stop writing about ... details here ).
It's not my ideal device, but it's got way better processing power and RAM than a lot of the devices out there. I didn't see any followup posts in the non-Onyx forums, so if you're going to follow up with more info (more models, pricing, group buys), can you start a thread there and link to it?
rchiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #48
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
http://www.banyuantech.cn/product/73...whit_WIFI.html

Impressive this reader!

A8 ARM Cortex-A13 1.5GHz GPU Mali 400.

-Android OS 4.0.4.

DDR3-RAM 512MB (max. 2G)

Capacitive-touch.

-Flash 4GB (max. 32GB)
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #49
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Android would come very handy to me, as I would like to have my Mendeley references library on my e-reader and there are several Android ports of the Meneley bibliographic software. I will wait and see however what Booxtor will do with the Android port on M92, because the big screen of M92 is clearly an advantage.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #50
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchiang View Post
It's not my ideal device, but it's got way better processing power and RAM than a lot of the devices out there. I didn't see any followup posts in the non-Onyx forums, so if you're going to follow up with more info (more models, pricing, group buys), can you start a thread there and link to it?
Well, there is not too much to say (unless you want to order 1,000-10,000 pcs and start your own business and brand name). Also I got no more replies or information from the .bg retailer.

And even actual product lacks HD screen, frontlight or page turn keys (probably they will build if you pay extra for it).

But it's great to find such products already produced, maybe some of us are not alone requesting such devices. Maybe such fine and logical thinking really exists. And finally be able to use and choose among a lot of different, quality and real programs, or even program or modify one by yourself. And obviously be free for any book format, store and service.

Last edited by jotas; 01-23-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #51
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, there is not too much to say (unless you want to order 1,000-10,000 pcs and start your own business and brand name). Also I got no more replies or information from the .bg retailer.
Actually the Chinese vendor description says
Quote:
Minimum Order Quantity: 1 Piece/Pieces
so you don't have to order wholesale.

But for me there is a lot of uncertainty buying online from China from unknown vendors (esp. when the payment method is Western Union and not PayPal). If I decide to buy one, I will probably go for the model rebranded for Bulgaria, despite the older specifications and the higher price, because I can go to a store and buy it there.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #52
jotas
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by slex View Post
Actually the Chinese vendor description says

so you don't have to order wholesale.

But for me there is a lot of uncertainty buying online from China from unknown vendors (esp. when the payment method is Western Union and not PayPal). If I decide to buy one, I will probably go for the model rebranded for Bulgaria, despite the older specifications and the higher price, because I can go to a store and buy it there.
One single unit using Alibaba or directly to chinese, any payment method... doubtful and dangerous.

But, if you go ahead, please let us know the results! You're even from Bulgaria, so it must be a lot easier for you
Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #53
slex
Addict

Yes, if I get one eventually, I will write about it.

But right now I am waiting for Booxtor's implementation of Android on M92.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #54
talizh
Enthusiast
talizh has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Well, I contacted the company in China and ordered one yesterday. The representative Kerry Wang answers emails quickly and seems helpful enough. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Fingers crossed, ha ha!
talizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #55
jotas
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by talizh View Post
Well, I contacted the company in China and ordered one yesterday. The representative Kerry Wang answers emails quickly and seems helpful enough. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Fingers crossed, ha ha!
Me too , but 83USD/pc + 45 freight is a lot!, and payment not safe.

But, interesting, he told me that they don't have where to buy in Europe, distributor or retailer, so, the device from the .bg store must be (probably! ) from someone else.

EDIT: Look. Maybe this one. They also offer another using flexible display.
http://wexler-global.com/products/79/368
http://wexler.ru/digital/41da1918-b1...9-001e67105065

Last edited by jotas; 01-25-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #56
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by talizh View Post

Fingers crossed, ha ha!
I also have contacted the company and even ordered a sample to be able to compare their Android 4 with Onyx Android implementation
I hope this is not a con company, since they positioning themselves as traders and not as manufacturer..

They a also answered some of my questions about advanced requirements:

Questions are following:

1. is it possible to equip this device with glow light technology (for frontlight functionality)?

No.

2. is it possible to equip this device with additional flash storage (i.e 8GB)

This is OK, but MOQ 1000pcs.

3. Is it possible to equip your device with EINK Pearl screens with bigger resolution (1024x758)
No

Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #57
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
@Booxter

Can you tell us that how much time it will take approximately for onyx to launch the android device

Thanks
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #58
Just-read
Just-read began at the beginning.

Device: None
@Booxtor

is the new onyx will have 9.7" screen and same functionality of M92 in addition to the new features of android OS. Like multitasking feature. I am eager to hear about the new onyx.

Thanks in advance
Just-read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #59
talizh
Enthusiast

Yeah, I hope that trading company isn't a scam. I sent money on last Thursday and still haven't gotten a tracking number for my shipment...

I'll keep you guys informed!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #60
talizh
Enthusiast

Well, I got the ereader today. It is pretty late so I haven't had much of a chance to get into it but my first impressions are that the i62 HD does not have to worry about this competition.

The pro is that this device seems to be fairly quick (the extra RAM is definitely noticeable) and it is running android. However, android is kind of useless because so far I have been completely unable to install any third party apps. Moreover, the pre-installed ereader software on this device is completely lacking. No annotations, no landscape view, etc. etc. Also, much of it is in Chinese, ha ha!

I found the browser works nicely. Much better than the Onyx one. It seems to be Chrome, or something that looks similar.

But by far the greatest problem is that the screen has a strong glare, probably because of the touch screen. Let's be honest, the whole point of an ebook reader is to read. 600x800 resolution I can live with but the glare is not acceptable. I can see my reflection in the screen....

Frankly, I purchased this more because I was curious about what Android could offer, but if I had been hoping for a primary ereader I would be really disappointed. The lack of third-party apps and poor screen quality are particularly damning.

Nevertheless, I look forward to the day when Onyx starts putting more RAM into their ereaders.