Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
AndreiC
Enthusiast
AndreiC began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle 2 International
Merging notes into PDFs

Hi,

Is there a way that I could export a PDF file with the notes I took on the PRS-600 merged into it?

Adobe Digital Editions can see the PDF with the notes but I couldn't find an option to export the PDF together with the notes.

Later edit:

Oh, just to be clear: I'm more interested not in graphical notes but in notes that consist of either marked text or marked text + comments.

Thanks!

Last edited by AndreiC; 01-28-2010 at 08:11 PM.
AndreiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
rvdparis
Connoisseur
rvdparis doesn't litterrvdparis doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch + iPad 1 + iPhone 4
You can't.

Go to the Sony Reader software, and you'll have to export your notes from there. On a Mac, just open in a text program (Word, TextEdit, etc), and print to PDF.

The notes function is great on the 600, except there is no easy way to get them out, and you're limited to 100 characters each time. HOWEVER, you could copy and paste text into annotations BUT ONLY IN THE READER SOFTWARE, and you're not limited to 100 characters. You can't do that on the reader itself.
rvdparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
You could merge the annotations back onto a copy of the .pdf by using the LaTeX package pdfpages[1] and writing a script which would:

- read in the annotations
- convert them to .pdf
- place the original .pdf one page at a time
- surprint the annotation .pdf on the appropriate page(s)

William

1 - or some other .pdf manipulation tool such as multivalent or pdftk
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
You could merge the annotations back onto a copy of the .pdf by using the LaTeX package pdfpages[1] and writing a script which would:

- read in the annotations
- convert them to .pdf
- place the original .pdf one page at a time
- surprint the annotation .pdf on the appropriate page(s)

William

1 - or some other .pdf manipulation tool such as multivalent or pdftk
Hi:

Very nice tip. Excuse me, I am familiar with pdftk, surprint with pdftk "stamp" command?

Many, many, thanks...
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
AndreiC
Enthusiast

Hmm, I don't really think I have the time to experiment with this...

If one of you does this (using the LaTeX method or any other method) please let me know though.

I don't think that I'm mistaken when I say that all of our PRS-600 notes will be lost over time which is a shame. (Lost because of the format they're in - some proprietary XML format, in some hidden files separated from the actual ebooks). Having them in the PDFs would mean they're safe as long as we backup our ebooks (which we are more careful to do).

Also, PDFs are likely to be readable on many devices well into the future which one can't say about Adobe/Sony's xml note format.

Last edited by AndreiC; 01-28-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
AndreiC
Enthusiast

Oh, just to be clear: I'm more interested not in graphical notes but in notes that consist of either marked text or marked text + comments.

I don't know whether your proposed LaTeX method is suitable to these types of notes.