Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Catew
Catew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Can't Fetch News

I'm running Calibre 0.5.14 on a Windows XP Media Server SP3 machine. I can't get any of the news recipes to work. From within Calibre, I just get a spinning hourglass, and the jobs list tells me that the fetching is "waiting", but nothing ever happens.

I have been reading these boards and tickets for about 2 hours now, so I have already tried the FEEDS2LRF --Verbose "publication name" from the command line. All the publications return <urlopen error [Errorno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

It seems that this is a firewall/port access problem from what I've read here. I am using the Windows firewall, and I made an exception for calibre.exe and calibre-parallel.exe with no effect. We are using a netgear router where we can open specific ports or port ranges, but I can't find any documentation about which ports Calibre wants open.

I looked at the server.py file and didn't see anything that applied to my situation.

I am using Calibre with my Kindle 2, and all the other features work just fine.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Catew; 07-19-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Catew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is definitely a network problem. calibre doesn't need any incoming ports opened, only outgoing ones. There are two places where the problem could be, windows firewall or your router setup

I suggest the following two steps:

1) Disable your windows firewall temporarily and see if that fixes it

2) Connect your computer directly to the internet (not through the router)

Dont perform both steps at once as that will leave your computer unprotected
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Catew
Catew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you very much for your prompt reply!

It was indeed a problem with the firewall, which I will need to address in a more general sense, it appears!

In any case, Calibre is now fetching news just fine and I am a happy camper.
Catew is offline   Reply With Quote