Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Should dosbox be added to the Kindle ports TODO list
Yes, it would make a great addition to the kindles 8 57.14%
No, it does not make sense or personally I don´t see the value 5 35.71%
Other. (Please add a post to the thread explaining your Other option) 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Exclamation Dosbox... is it worth porting?

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/dosbox

and

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

Any thoughts anyone on if this is worth porting to a 3?

My thoughts are the effort to get it onto the later devices may not be so major, but fear the emulator overhead would kill the point on the lower devices.

Input anyone on that?

I should stress that this is not something I personally could undertake - in the short term anyway - being way behind in many things already

however a long term view never hurts and if there was enough support and good reasons for this certainly would look to support the effort.

Probably on the higher devices first and then backwards if the results look promising.

Last edited by twobob; 03-11-2013 at 08:01 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is pursuant to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=585
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Why to ask? Just port it.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
twobob

You port it. lol.

because I told the other guy to post up his thoughts and he didn´t

so I was setting an example.

Discussion - as opposed - to constant requests of ¨do this work¨

you know... getting more devs ¨on board¨ is never a bad thing
Old 03-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
You port it. lol.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ESM7JQBNL7YWSXCBGC3U44SF53YEOMT2.jpeg
Views:	329
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	102778
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
twobob

Sigh... That appears to be the message from everyone.

It gets a little wearing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_135.png
Views:	308
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	102779  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
twobob

[root@kindle root]# debian.sh
Quote:
[*] Mounting Rootfs...[*] Preparing Filesystem...[*] Preparing Network Connections...[*] Starting Debian shell...
root@kindle:/# apt-get install dosbox
Quote:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libsdl-sound1.2
The following NEW packages will be installed:
dosbox libsdl-sound1.2
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 72 not upgraded.
Need to get 927 kB of archives.
After this operation, 2,497 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sid/main libsdl-sound1.2 armel 1.0.3-6 [96.6 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sid/main dosbox armel 0.74-3 [830 kB]
Fetched 927 kB in 0s (1,265 kB/s)
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
Selecting previously unselected package libsdl-sound1.2:armel.
(Reading database ... 9370 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libsdl-sound1.2:armel (from .../libsdl-sound1.2_1.0.3-6_armel.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package dosbox.
Unpacking dosbox (from .../dosbox_0.74-3_armel.deb) ...
Setting up libsdl-sound1.2:armel (1.0.3-6) ...
Setting up dosbox (0.74-3) ...
There I´m finished. :P

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand....

The graphics are mangled...

Sigh..

feel free anyone to fix it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_136.png
Views:	415
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	102780  

Last edited by twobob; 03-11-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
If I could, I would. The idea of trying to get something like this to work is WAY over my head.

What would the benefit be? Playing DOS games emulated on a slow machine... Maybe get Windows 3.11 running on it?

I wouldn't spend much time on it. It would be fun to show others what you could do, maybe that's enough - just because you can.
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #9
twobob

TBH given the debian ¨OOTB fail¨ it is even further down my list. which is a long list.

Had it looked like (attached) I might have bothered at some point.

I did a quick config a la http://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html#Parameters and http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf

removing all errors and had a quick scud through the possible video option with no joy. So, unless someone jumps in... for now this is dead to me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_137.png
Views:	397
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	102782  

Last edited by twobob; 03-12-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #10
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/dosbox

and

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

Any thoughts anyone on if this is worth porting to a 3?

My thoughts are the effort to get it onto the later devices may not be so major, but fear the emulator overhead would kill the point on the lower devices.

Input anyone on that?
I guess you were poked via PM, too? Sigh. Well, it's like this: AFAIK, Dosbox is SDL-focused. That's fine, but we don't have a SDL video output driver for the K3 (yet). That's probably all that is needed, but there aren't many developers here in the board who like to play with C code - simple as it might be. (In fact, it should be very simple! It's just adding 4bpp framebuffer support.) I probably could, but am not quite motivated. Plus, I have some other things in the pipeline I'd rather play with instead. I don't expect much from Dosbox, but I'm admittedly not very focused on gaming. And I'm not really inclined to get good' old Lotus-1-2-3 running, either.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:02 AM   #11
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
TBH given the debian ¨OOTB fail¨ it is even further down my list. which is a long list.

Had it looked like (attached) I might have bothered at some point.

I did a quick config a la http://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html#Parameters and http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf

removing all errors and had a quick scud through the possible video option with no joy. So, unless someone jumps in... for now this is dead to me.
Well, I'm gonna jump in once Prince of Persia runs on the Kindle.

(That's the only thing I ever used dosbox for, but it was definitely worth the hassle. Oh... guess I'm growing old )
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
twobob

To be XTRA annoying I got this running native on the K5 - then press CLOSE rather than copy on the tab and lost all the work.

I could kick myself in the head.

I MIGHT POSSIBLY regain the will to live and try again at some point. but I doubt it.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
eureka

Quote:
To be XTRA annoying I got this running native on the K5 - then press CLOSE rather than copy on the tab and lost all the work.
Prince of Persia pics or it didn't happen.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
flashmozzg
Enthusiast
flashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheese

Quote:

I could kick myself in the head.

I MIGHT POSSIBLY regain the will to live and try again at some point. but I doubt it.
Sometimes I dream about some Global OS Revert/Undo function...
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Prince of Persia pics or it didn't happen.
Yeah... I was actually like THIS (SWEARWORD DELETED) CLOSE to testing running an app when I clicked Close Tab..

Stupid git.

Honestly I am like fuming. Sigh. wasted work p's me off

Last edited by twobob; 03-12-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Tags
dosbox, poll, port