Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #46
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Is somebody going to set this up on goodreads. Now i should have asked santa for a goodreads update that keeps count on your pages read for the year. That would be drool time.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #47
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I MUST break my once started must finish mentality.
It took me a while to realise that just because I'd started reading a book, I had no obligation to finish it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #48
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Is somebody going to set this up on goodreads. Now i should have asked santa for a goodreads update that keeps count on your pages read for the year. That would be drool time.

applesauce
If you go to the MyBooks section on GoodReads, you can click on Stats near the bottom of the left menu which will show you books and allow you to show pages too. As long as you are filling in the date read in GoodReads you'll get a page count. Of course, some titles don't have pages listed within GoodReads and you need to watch the editions you're reading for it to match. There's also the caveat that not all pages are the same length.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #49
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What home in my shoes is correct however you should simply click on this link to go to the 2013 edition of the challenge: http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...ding-challenge
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #50
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
For any of you who may be interested (and not already aware), I've just learned about the Pepys Diary Site. A day-by-day entry takes you through it in a year; includes many interesting annotations.
The link to the Diary site is http://www.pepysdiary.com/diary/1660/01/01/
Also, you can sign up to receive it daily as an RSS or email.
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabana View Post
For any of you who may be interested (and not already aware), I've just learned about the Pepys Diary Site. A day-by-day entry takes you through it in a year; includes many interesting annotations.
Thank you! Pepys is part of my reading plan for 2013; I had thought I'd only dip into him to avoid some of the daily tedium, but this makes a full year manageable. I just hope they don't skip the juicy bits.

Last edited by issybird; 01-03-2013 at 05:30 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #52
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
If you go to the MyBooks section on GoodReads, you can click on Stats near the bottom of the left menu which will show you books and allow you to show pages too. As long as you are filling in the date read in GoodReads you'll get a page count. Of course, some titles don't have pages listed within GoodReads and you need to watch the editions you're reading for it to match. There's also the caveat that not all pages are the same length.

Thank you I saw individual pages per book but had not seen that. Love it

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #53
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Quote:
I MUST break my once started must finish mentality.

applesauce
It took me a while to realise that just because I'd started reading a book, I had no obligation to finish it.
I am still not over it (and I'm no kid) - you never know, something may come up later to turn it into a masterpiece... not that it ever happened, but we live in hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabana View Post
thank you, this is such a find! I note it says
Quote:
The diary entries were published on this site daily, in real time, from January 2003 until May 2012, with readers discussing events each day. From January 2013 the diary entries will again appear on the front page at the end of the day (London time), starting with 1 January 1660.
but all previous discussions are still there.

Perhaps a platitude, but though I know it, whenever I come across it, it always strikes me how writings roughly up to the 20th century are peppered with observations about health.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #54
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Like quake, my books bought = $0 however my books acquired = 40. Those are different things, I acquired my books via the mobileread baen book threads. Those are great threads however they have one problem, when you participate the books one the to be read stack have a tendency to multiply like rabbits. Techweston, i would recommend that you put your book list in the book list thread.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #55
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Like quake, my books bought = $0 however my books acquired = 40. Those are different things, I acquired my books via the mobileread baen book threads. Those are great threads however they have one problem, when you participate the books one the to be read stack have a tendency to multiply like rabbits. Techweston, i would recommend that you put your book list in the book list thread.
You had accidentally posted this in the "List thread". The powers that be have moved it to its proper home.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #56
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Like last year, I'm not going to set a goal. I read 94 books last year, which is a lot higher than I had thought possible and do not expect to get through quite as many this year. I just like having the list to go back to.

I may try to catalog in Goodreads as well this year, but that is so much more complicated than what I want to track, so I don't expect to keep it up.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #57
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
The last two years, I've set and met a 100 book goal. Not so this year. I just took a new job and predict that it will take enough of my time that I am cutting my goal to 50.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #58
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
How many books did I read in 2013?

I have never really kept track of how many books I have read in a year. It will be interesting to see how much I really do read, and compare it to how much I think I read.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #59
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
I have never really kept track of how many books I have read in a year. It will be interesting to see how much I really do read, and compare it to how much I think I read.
This is the first time I have ever tracked my reading as well. I put a goal of 50 books. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #60
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
For anyone interested I've kept a Moleskine Passions Book Journal for 4 years running now. I've included their official video below (not a purchase link) for anyone who is curious about it.

My wife has the habit of picking mine up and flipping through it to see what I'm reading and to ask me questions about it. Its also just a great way of keeping track of reading groups, book lists and quotes I want to remember.

For those of you who are tracking your books for the first time, this might be something to consider. If anything you can use the fields in the journal to create your own form via paper or electronics if that suits you

Happy Reading!

astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote