Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Tim Shaw
Tim Shaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo glo home/settings button not working?

Hi there,

I got a Kobo glo today, synced via pc seemed to set up and update fine. Loaded an epub file onto the root dir of the reader. Very much like the device, was showing my mum, viewed the book and tried to press the home button up top, nothing happened. Deciding it just must be me i fiddled around the UI but didn't have any success, i was stuck in the library. Did a reboot of the device, went to library, tried to return and the same thing happened. Put paperclip in the hole, tried again, same thing.

The top right settings button seems to work at times, managed to do a factory reset and reinstall. Now i'm at the similar books page and cant press settings/home buttons up top. All other buttons (brightness etc working fine).

Is this borked?
Tim Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
When you say the 'button' I assume you're referring to the screen? The only buttons on the top are the power and light buttons.

Try a different epub, could be an iffy file causing the device to freeze.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Tim Shaw

Hey there mate, sorry very tired last night. Yeah i meant 'icon' on the touch screen. I also thought it could have been a problem with the e-pub but i've done the factory reset and still seem to be having problems. For instance if i click on reading life, then try the top left home icon, doesn't seem to work no matter how i hit it? Think i'll return today.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
That does sound iffy.....

If you only just bought it you should easily get a replacement. I did this and I all worked out well.
Richard Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Shaw View Post
The top right settings button seems to work at times, managed to do a factory reset and reinstall. Now i'm at the similar books page and cant press settings/home buttons up top. All other buttons (brightness etc working fine).
Since your Glo is brand new this probably isn't the issue, but dirt can intefere with the IR detectors that work the touch screen. You could try gently cleaning the screen with a microfibre cloth and using an air puffer (in reverse) to suck out any dirt from the gap between the screen and the bezel, especially from the part of the bezel closest to the problem areas.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
Tim Shaw

Hey guys, thank you for all the help. Exchanged the new kobo have set it up and its working as intended. Im happy so far with it, and i'm glad i am not a Luddite. Time to hop in bed and pop my ebook cherry.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Alain2
Alain2 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Had the exact same issue as Tim with the top left home button, and after playing a bit with firware up/downgrades (actually I was barely able to access the home button on the early firmware by tapping ~10mm to the right of it, but this was not possible with the new interface), I also got a replacement unit that is working fine.
Thanks for this post, I didn't find much info on this issue when googling, I thought I was very unlucky ^^
Alain2 is offline   Reply With Quote