Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
iOS 8 is live

Went out earlier this hour.

Widgets are looking good. Here's my Evernote and Audible:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.PNG
Views:	379
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	128487

Hopefully Amazon comes out with some for the Kindle apps. They did update the main Amazon app with Touch ID support when checking out.

The HealthKit stuff got pulled for now. We don't know why, but I think it might have to do with some data issues.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
This is a greedy update. Requires at least 6.9 GB of storage. People with 16GB devices like me will struggle to free up space. On my iPad Air it says 11.2GB used and 1.5GB available. They need to stop selling 16GB devices, given that several gigs are already consumed when you buy the thing.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
This is a greedy update. Requires at least 6.9 GB of storage. People with 16GB devices like me will struggle to free up space. On my iPad Air it says 11.2GB used and 1.5GB available. They need to stop selling 16GB devices, given that several gigs are already consumed when you buy the thing.
Do it over iTunes. It takes less space so I've heard.

Updates always require more storage than they actually take after installing. It's a 1.0 update, not a .1, remember that. It updates the system entirely.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Do it over iTunes. It takes less space so I've heard.

Updates always require more storage than they actually take after installing. It's a 1.0 update, not a .1, remember that. It updates the system entirely.
Thank you.

I couldn't wait. Just deleted all of my Microsoft Office related apps. Each one was 1/2 GB. Those alone freed up 6.3GB. Update is downloading now. Looking forward to using Swype keyboard. Soooooo tired of tapping individual letters.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Ouch. Well, at least they're cloud based!

Seems like people are having keyboard issues. I'm personally waiting on SwiftKey. Hopefully it has Flow.
Advert
Old 09-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Mine says 1.3 GB on my iPad mini Retina and 957 MB on my iPhone 5.

I'm passing on this update for now. I want to see all the repercussions first. Besides, there really wasn't anything in the list of new stuff that excited me. The new keyboard looks like just another autocorrect POS I don't want to deal with. A keyboard where I don't have to jump back and forth a dozen times between numbers, symbols, and letters just to enter a password or email address would be nice. Fat chance of getting one though.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Well, I didn't care for SwiftKey. It doesn't have all the nice options like the Android version. Went with TextExpander instead. You can do shortcuts with that one. It won't let you use it in the password fields, but it works fine in the username area. So you can just copy and paste as a lame solution, heh.

I think they made a good move with that. Very annoying, but when people are accusing these things as being key loggers, then yeah.

It's really overwhelming yeah. I think we will be getting a .1 again.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

My update finally finished downloading. Can't do the actual install until I plug in to a power source. Battery only has 30%. Will have to wait a bit longer. Anxious!
Old 09-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Well, I didn't care for SwiftKey. It doesn't have all the nice options like the Android version. Went with TextExpander instead. You can do shortcuts with that one. It won't let you use it in the password fields, but it works fine in the username area. So you can just copy and paste as a lame solution, heh.

I think they made a good move with that. Very annoying, but when people are accusing these things as being key loggers, then yeah.

It's really overwhelming yeah. I think we will be getting a .1 again.
Thanks. Yeah, I think I prefer Apple's over protective approach to Android's hands off approach to security.

Do you know of any iOS keyboards that always shows the numbers on top or let you hold down the qwerty keys to have numbers pop up? A good password needs numbers, letters, and symbols.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Solitaire City is broken. How am I going to kill time now?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I think I prefer Apple's over protective approach to Android's hands off approach to security.

Do you know of any iOS keyboards that always shows the numbers on top or let you hold down the qwerty keys to have numbers pop up? A good password needs numbers, letters, and symbols.
No, not yet. I used to use ExKey on the jailbreaks to do that. I'm sure someone will come up with it, it's a popular request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I'm sure they'll update it in a bit.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #12
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Can you roll back to 7?
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Can you roll back to 7?
I don't think so. Apple has never allowed a roll back in previous releases.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I don't think so. Apple has never allowed a roll back in previous releases.
However, they traditionally sign both the new and the immediately previous firmware for a day or two during the transition.

IIRC you will have to manually download the update and apply it via iTunes, though.

Don't wait till tomorrow --or it may already be too late.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:31 AM   #15
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Same here. I love that app so I rolled back from 8GM to 7. I dont know if rollback is possible now. I had a few other apps broken as well.

Last time, from 6 to 7, the rollback period was so short (less than a day) so I missed it. My 4S was better on 6. I'm not updating to 8 again.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote