Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #46
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
...share with a family member.
My guess is that's the exact reason that publishers insist on DRM. I assume that a non-trivial number of sales are to friends and family members (the people likely to be influenced by my "word of mouth" are exactly the people that I would be likely to share with) and publishers believe that those sales will be lost without "hard" DRM.

That, or the publishers' DRM decisions are simply irrational.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #47
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
My guess is that's the exact reason that publishers insist on DRM. I assume that a non-trivial number of sales are to friends and family members (the people likely to be influenced by my "word of mouth" are exactly the people that I would be likely to share with) and publishers believe that those sales will be lost without "hard" DRM.

That, or the publishers' DRM decisions are simply irrational.
But those are the same people that paper books were/are shared with.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #48
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
But those are the same people that paper books were/are shared with.
I agree with you. I also expect that if publishers had a way to tie a paper book to an individual with even partial effectiveness, they would do so.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #49
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
I agree with you. I also expect that if publishers had a way to tie a paper book to an individual with even partial effectiveness, they would do so.
Eek! I wouldn't be able to MOVE with thousands of books tied to me!

Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote