Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #91
tedgorton
tedgorton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Doitsu, this is exciting. I opened the Kindle app on my Mac and indeed it downloaded. but it seems to be in the background and cannot be sent to my Kindle. however the link worked a charm and I am THRILLED. thank you SO MUCH for your very efficient help.

now how about a Modern Greek dictionary??
tedgorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #92
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgorton View Post
now how about a Modern Greek dictionary??
AFAIK, there's isn't one, but MR has a classical greek dictionary.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #93
tedgorton
tedgorton began at the beginning.

Can't read the papers with Classical Greek, sadly. at least my Spanish needs are met thanks to you! I searched and searched for the DRAE to buy, and there it was for free all the time. it's a strange world as the feller says.

I would like to get the Larousse back in a usable format if anyone knows how?

thanks again
tedgorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #94
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgorton View Post
Can't read the papers with Classical Greek, sadly. at least my Spanish needs are met thanks to you! I searched and searched for the DRAE to buy, and there it was for free all the time. it's a strange world as the feller says.
If you look at the "Manage Your Kindle" page on Amazon's web site, you'll see a list of all the dictionaries that are available to you. There are about 13 of them in total.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #95
intangible
e-Dictionary Publisher
intangible doesn't litterintangible doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
It's great that Amazon has finally made the default dictionary feature available outside of the e-ink devices. It works on the iPad/iPhone app, and now on Kindle Fire, at long last.

I have a Fire HD 7 4th generation, and when you tap a word for lookup, you get the new "Smart Lookup" interface. This shows Wikipedia lookup initially, but if you swipe right twice, you see the dictionary definition. From there, you can tap on a "Change Dictionary" button to set the default dictionary.

It seems you have to have Fire OS 4.x installed to get this feature. I know 1st generation Fires can't get that software update, and I believe that to be true of 2nd generation devices as well (though I'd love to be wrong about that).

Does anyone know if this feature now works on Fire 3rd generation devices with the latest software? I'm not clear if 3rd gen devices can be updated to Fire OS 4.
intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #96
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Does anyone know if this feature now works on Fire 3rd generation devices with the latest software? I'm not clear if 3rd gen devices can be updated to Fire OS 4.
AFAIK, the latest Kindle for Android app offers the same features. I.e., hard-core Kindle dictionary aficionados with Kindle Fire devices that don't support Fire OS 4.x, could sideload and install the Kindle apk file from an APK mirror site and enjoy the same features. (This doesn't apply to the first two Kindle Fire generations, because the app requires at least Android 4.x.)

The usual caveats for side-loaded apps apply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Android_Kindle_4.13.png
Views:	997
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	140331  
Old 12-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #97
rabe3ab
Enthusiast
rabe3ab began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difermo View Post
found solution "tab2opf.exe -utf dict.txt
thanks, you saved my life
rabe3ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #98
mendesitba
Connoisseur
mendesitba began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, Ipad 2, Note 5
Hello! I created a new thread (i'll quote it below) asking if it is possible to convert a Kindle dictionary file into .bgl.

If moderators don't oppose to it, I would keep the thread since it could be easily find by other members who want to do the same thing. In case someone here knows how to do it and answer in this post, I'll go to my thread and post the answer there to help other users.

Quote:
Hello all!!

I was wondering if there is a way of converting a Kindle dictionary into a .bgl (or similar) file. I bought a French-Portuguese dictionary (Porto Editora) at Amazon.com and I would like to use it with Golden Dict and Anki Droid android apps.

I can't even find the dictionary file when i plug my Kindle in my PC, but supposing i realize how to do that (in a quick search in the forum I saw that there is some threads about how to do it), there is a way of converting this file into a bgl file?

Thank you in advance!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269689
mendesitba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:07 PM   #99
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesitba View Post
I was wondering if there is a way of converting a Kindle dictionary into a .bgl (or similar) file. I bought a French-Portuguese dictionary (Porto Editora) at Amazon.com and I would like to use it with Golden Dict and Anki Droid android apps.
AFAIK, there is no automated solution. You'd have to do the following:
  1. DeDRM the book.
  2. Unpack it with KindleUnpack.
  3. Open the main html file in a text editor that can handle very large files.
  4. Using regular expressions, change the existing entry format to the GLS format* or a two-column excel spreadsheet.
  5. Use Babylon Glossary Builder to generate the .bgl file.

As you can see this involves so much work that it's not really worth it.

* The GLS format is

Code:
headword1|synonym1|synonym2
Definition of headword1 in a single line

headword2|synonym1|synonym2
Definition of headword2 in a single line
Old 01-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #100
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesitba View Post
Hello! I created a new thread (i'll quote it below) asking if it is possible to convert a Kindle dictionary file into .bgl.

If moderators don't oppose to it, I would keep the thread since it could be easily find by other members who want to do the same thing. In case someone here knows how to do it and answer in this post, I'll go to my thread and post the answer there to help other users.
Moderator Notice

Please do not double-post.

If you find a good solution and feel it is worthy of its own thread, I guess you could create a new "Tutorial" thread.
But as it is, you simply asked the same thing in two different places. That is not the best use of anyone's time...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #101
itfs
itfs began at the beginning.

Custom dictionary - are there workarounds for numbers and accented letters?

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and I am making a custom dictionary for it. However, I am meeting some issues and hoping someone can help.
  1. It doesn't work to look up numbers
    Example:
    Code:
    <idx:entry name="french" scriptable="yes" spell="yes">
    <idx:orth>Article 1234</idx:orth>Lorem ipsum</idx:entry>
  2. It can lookup a word with an accented letter, but not two words where both words have accented letters.
    Example:
    Code:
    <idx:entry name="french" scriptable="yes" spell="yes">
    <idx:orth>arrêt de règlement
    <idx:infl>
    <idx:iform value="arrêts de règlement" />
    </idx:infl></idx:orth>Lorem ipsum</idx:entry>

Does anyone know of a workaround for these two issues?
itfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #102
ramiv
ramiv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
Russian Dictionary

Hello,

I tried to find help in the forum but quite couldn't.

I have an old kindke device. I think it is the Kindle 4th Gen (it has only WIFI, no keyboard buttons but no touch either, and I bought it with special offers).

I want to use it with Russian Ebooks and dictionaries.

The books work just fine, but I have no dictionary for Russian. I tried to copy a free dictionary to the kindle folder and under Settings->Dictionaries I only have english and cannot change the setting for Russian (or add a new language). I tried to set the english language dictionary to the russian one but without success.

I tried both book with russian language metafile and english language metafile (same book, I changed the metafile using calibre).

How can I use Russian dictionary in popup in order to read properly? I don't mind buying a dictionary for a few dollars. I just want it to work.

Excuse me if I repeated previous questions.
Have a great week,
Rami
ramiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #103
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by itfs View Post
Nobody knows?
Take a look at the time of your first post.

Then weigh the cost you are paying for support vs. the time (and time of day) you allowed for an answer.

Plus, you are in the wrong forum, try:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=168
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #104
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

@itfs: You might want to ask a moderator to move your post to the Dictionary FAQ topic where it belongs.

Kindle dictionaries definitely support accented characters, but unlike Mobipocket Reader, Kindles will only display the first match and depending on the dictionary attributes words with accented characters might be treated like words without accented characters or vice versa.

Also you can't look up multiple words with the popup dictionary.

Edit: I found out that it is possible to look up multiple words.

Last edited by Doitsu; 04-22-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #105
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiv View Post
Hello,

I tried to find help in the forum but quite couldn't.

I have an old kindke device. I think it is the Kindle 4th Gen (it has only WIFI, no keyboard buttons but no touch either, and I bought it with special offers).

I want to use it with Russian Ebooks and dictionaries.

The books work just fine, but I have no dictionary for Russian. I tried to copy a free dictionary to the kindle folder and under Settings->Dictionaries I only have english and cannot change the setting for Russian (or add a new language). I tried to set the english language dictionary to the russian one but without success.

I tried both book with russian language metafile and english language metafile (same book, I changed the metafile using calibre).

How can I use Russian dictionary in popup in order to read properly? I don't mind buying a dictionary for a few dollars. I just want it to work.

Excuse me if I repeated previous questions.
Have a great week,
Rami
Dictionaries have a specific Kindle format to enable lookup. There are also ebooks that are 'Russian-English dictionaries' but are not in the dictionary format, and cannot be used for lookup. They're just ebook editions of print book, and you have to navigate it just as any other ebook. Perhaps this is the issue here.

I have used a Russian-English dictionary on my Kindle Keyboard (some free one I found and can no longer find), so something should work on your 'K4' (I assume this is the one without keyboard and touchscreen). There is a Russian-English translation dictionary for sale in the US Kindle Store (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R1W9PO/), but it is not very good: you are lucky if one word in ten is found.

I would suggest getting a new Kindle - they include decent translation dictionaries for Russian, and you can also add Russian keyboard layout for entering text. Moreover, when you are online you can select phrases and entire paragraphs and it will translate the whole thing via Bing translate. These are not always great but usually good enough to get the gist. Fire tablets have this translate feature and also TTS voices for Russian. My Fire is a couple of generations back and does not have Russian dictionaries (or option to select Russian user interface), maybe this has changed with newer devices.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-21-2017 at 01:35 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote