Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Roy Von Rogers
Roy Von Rogers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Kobo Wifi Question

Hi all, first post.

I just recieved my Kobo Wifi today and used the how to get started instruction sheet that came with it, it says to plug it in to your PC, and it suppose to detect the device....well it didnt.

After a while a baloon message popped up claiming it couldnt recognize the device. After re reading the instruction and playing with it a bit, found out that the Kobo comes up with a screen that asks whether you want to read or manage, I finaly moved the curser to manage library, and it (windows) found the device.

My question is...is this normal, after plugging it in shouldnt windows find the device automaticly, without me doing the go to library bit.

The instruction sheet doesnt mention anything about it, and implied as per insruction, that it would be found after plugging in to PC.

I would apreciate hearing to find the real answer. Btw talked to a guy in support, he claims its normal, never seen a usb device that windows doesnt recognize automaticly.

Btw thanks for the forum, my wife owns a Kindle and told here to come here for all the good tips

Thanks

Roy
Roy Von Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's normal on the Kobo. On the original Kobo (non WiFi / non Touch) when you plugged the device in via USB it went straight to the connect mode. This meant that it was impossible to read while the Kobo recharged.

With both the WiFi and the Touch, you are asked whether to Read or Connect to the Computer. This allows you the option of reading WHILE the device is charging, at the price of having to make the selection on the Kobo itself.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I think it's kind of a "feature" that you choose between the reading and managing. WHen you choose "reading" it is not meant to be recognized as a storage (or other) device, but rather just connected to get some power.
Kind of having a USB device safely removed, meaning no longer communicating with the computer but still cocnnected to power.

Does this make any sense? I kind of underestand what's going on, but not well enough to explain it. Sort of...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Roy Von Rogers
Roy Von Rogers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Thanks all.

Good to know its normal, and yes I can see why its done that way, but would be nice if included in the instructions...lol

Now all I have to figure out how to get some pdf files in to my documents, its dimmed at the moment and not sure where to put pdf files to read.

Roy

Last edited by Roy Von Rogers; 12-05-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Roy Von Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Von Rogers View Post
Now all I have to figure out how to get some pdf files in to my document folder, its dimmed at the moment and not sure where to put pdf files to read.
You can just drag and drop them to the main directory on the Wifi. Can't remember for sure, but you can likely put them in a directory to help maintain your sanity when putting the on the Kobo (BUT they will NOT show up in directories when using the device itself, only when browsing it from your computer). PDF is fairly painful on the Wifi.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert