Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #46
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie4msg View Post
After
ssh -R 5901:localhost:5901 root@ken1

I get

[root@kindle etc]# /mnt/us/kindleviewer/kvncviewer.sh -password aaaaaaaa root@192.168.15.201:1
15/04/2013 21:52:13 Couldn't convert 'root@192.168.15.201' to host address

hmmm
This looks quite good already. The prompt is coming from the kindle. The SSH connection is up already. It's only the follow-up call that errors out.

You entered that call to kvncviewer.sh there manually? just drop "root@" there. And switch "192.168.15.201" to "localhost" (or 127.0.0.1) -- the VNC viewer connects to the tunnel end on the Kindle itself - that's why we use a SSH tunnel here.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #47
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur
fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3gb (3g)
OMG. It works... YEAH

If anybody wants to do the same:

On page 1 we called x11vnc by

x11vnc -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd -bg -accept "popup" -gone "popup" -rfbport 5900 -gui tray=minimal,iconfont=14x17 -forever -noxdamage -shared &

has to be changed to

-rfbport 5901

I run the client by

root@kindle: /mnt/us/kindleviewer/kvncviewer.sh -password aaaaaaaa 127.0.0.1:1

I dont want to cheer to early, if this phrase exists in english, but YEEEAH

Thx hawhill! I think the rest is quite easy to be done. and thx to the grumpy kvnc1.

and of course thx to twobot!!!! If you need a place to rest in Germany someday... just mail me

things come back to you in life

lol there is still a minor problem
i still dont know how to end the vncviewer after running it in the ssh prompt...
it freezes on homescreen and i have to do a "hard reboot".. hhmmm its really strange. maybe its something with the kindle console.... I come back to it without problems, and to speak precisly, it freezes after quitting the kindle terminal with the left upper key to go back to the homescreen...hmm.. if the homescreen doesnt freeze, iam not able to switch to the "screensaver" by flicking the power button .. hmm

Last edited by fonzie4msg; 04-18-2013 at 07:58 AM.
fonzie4msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #48
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur
fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Well, I did it. I killed the vnc client remotly via ssh, and obviously the screensaver is disabled. ~resumeScreensaver in config-mode is the solution.

Not handy, but it works.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #49
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

hey

Due to intented long time using i should switch to connect to my Kindle via WiFi, should I?

Is that hard to do? I think on kindle-side besides chaning the usbnetwork config, there is nothing to do since the vnc is connecting to the tunnel at localhost.

but at PC side... argh... thats the probem if you dont know what you do

sudo ip link set up dev usb0
sudo ip address add 192.168.15.201 peer 192.168.15.244 dev usb0
ssh -R 5901:localhost:5901 root@ken1

Can anybody give me some advices?
my method would be:

1) switching WiFi to "true"
2) trying to get to know my kindle IP
3) replacing ken1 with the kindle IP

but I think its not that easy, because of the ssh private/public key thing....
and of course... its all noobish.. i have no idea
Old 04-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #50
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
hey

Due to intented long time using i should switch to connect to my Kindle via WiFi, should I?
No -
Because Wifi does not keep your battery charged, USBnetworking does.

See more details in the answer to your cross-post.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #51
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

Hmmm

While connecting via usbnetwork, the kindle runs by this cable and not by its battery?
I was afraid of the situation, when the battery is full and Iam still on usbnetwork. Is a kind of overload not possible...?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #52
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

I just saw your post
Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #53
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
I was afraid of the situation, when the battery is full and Iam still on usbnetwork. Is a kind of overload not possible...?
Definitely not. The consequences of overload of a lithium-ion battery are so horrible (they call it 'venting with flame' but they mean 'explosion') that all battery units (in everything) are required to be fitted with a charging circuit that regulates charging current and prevents overcharging. This is also why, if you discharge the Kindle enough, recharging it takes ages -- there's barely enough power to run the charging circuit and it's being paranoid.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote