Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
nasty surprise

I bought my Kobo Touch from FNAC at the end of novembre and bought some books in english at Kobo in the same time, not being able to find what I was looking for at the FNAC website. I was relatively happy with that way of doing till today when I check my bank account : I found my purchases at Kobo, but each was accompanied by a smal amount taken by my banker because of a purchase "out of the euro zone". As I wanted to buy the Anthony Horoviz "The House of Silk" (that I knew was available for France at the Kobo website), I search the FNAC website to buy it there, it means in FRANCE, therefore in the "euro zone", but all that I could find was a paper book instead. When I bought my Kobo Touch at FNAC, I was said FNAC bookshop was the same as KOBO bookshop. So what ? Can anybody tell me where I could buy english ebooks inside the "euro zone" that, of course, could be read on my Kobo Touch ?

Thank you very much

Last edited by vice-versa; 12-27-2011 at 04:27 PM.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
I bought my Kobo Touch from FNAC at the end of novembre and bought some books in english at Kobo in the same time, not being able to find what I was looking for at the FNAC website. I was relatively happy with that way of doing till today when I check my bank account : I found my purchases at Kobo, but each was accompanied by a smal amount taken by my banker because of a purchase "out of the euro zone". As I wanted to buy the Anthony Horoviz "The House of Silk" (that I knew was available for France at the Kobo website), I search the FNAC website to buy it there, it means in FRANCE, therefore in the "euro zone", but all that I could find was a paper book instead. When I bought my Kobo Touch at FNAC, I was said FNAC bookshop was the same as KOBO bookshop. So what ? Can anybody tell me where I could buy english ebooks inside the "euro zone" that, of course, could be read on my Kobo Touch ?

Thank you very much
What bank?
I just checked the last ebookI bought from kobobooks (not from FNAC even though it was a french ebook), last week, and I was charged the exact price. Purchased made before kobobooks started charging directly in Euros were made through paypal (this option is no longer available from France) and carried no other charges as well (the last of those was in october).
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is nothing to do with the bookstore; if you make a purchase in a foreign currency your bank will impose a currency conversion charge, either explicitly (as you are seeing) or in the form of a poorer exchange rate. Currency conversion is a commercial transaction for which there will always be a fee charged.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
If I were you I would look around for another bank that allows you to make purchases in other currencies without hitting you with either a bad exchange rate or fees or even both.
I use a special credit card that I keep for internet purchases and overseas travel. It has no fees at all and consistently gives me an exchange rate within 1% of the interbank rate. For any Aussies reading it is the 28 Degrees Mastercard previously known as the Wizard Clear Advantage. It doesn't have any of the "benefits" of other more expensive credit cards like FF points or free insurance etc which is why I only use it for foreign transactions where the lack of fees and charges makes it worthwhile.
If you're not sure how to find the best credit card for foreign transactions I suggest you look on travel or frequent flyer forums. People who travel a lot have learnt how to avoid all those nasty surcharges that some banks like to impose.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:19 AM   #5
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
What bank?
The Société Générale. And I paid in euros, not in dollars... I'll have a word with my banker, next time I'll go there, and despite this nasty surprise, I'm not yet prepared to change for an other bank... (not yet, but... ) Kobo didn't charge more for the books, but I had a fee from my bank for each purchase. By the way do you know how to buy more than one book at one time on Kobo website ? There's no cart to add books in and paying afterward, when all's choosen ?

Last edited by vice-versa; 12-28-2011 at 02:23 AM.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #6
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
By the way do you know how to buy more than one book at one time on Kobo website ? There's no cart to add books in and paying afterward, when all's choosen ?
There's not one as far as I know. It's an irritant to most, Amazon are the same with their Kindle store, I tend to buy a gift voucher when buying from them that way I don't get an individual charge for every book I buy to my card/bank account.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
The Société Générale. And I paid in euros, not in dollars... I'll have a word with my banker, next time I'll go there, and despite this nasty surprise, I'm not yet prepared to change for an other bank... (not yet, but... ) Kobo didn't charge more for the books, but I had a fee from my bank for each purchase. By the way do you know how to buy more than one book at one time on Kobo website ? There's no cart to add books in and paying afterward, when all's choosen ?
Yes, you need to clarify with Société Générale how they (sur)charge purchases from abroad and see if you can get a better deal from them.
I don't know how to buy books in bundles, sorry.
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote