Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Good News and Bad New from the Library

Good news: Looks like my public library suddenly has a larger selection of newer books

Bad news...they are all ePub format...

Last edited by Boston; 04-13-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Better than PDF at least, which the BPL still has more of compared to ePub or Mobi.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
How does the DRM on ePUb work? What does your library require for you to download books? I've loaded Savory on my Kindle and can open ePub books but only those without DRM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
It uses Adobe's Adept DRM I believe. To download the tiny link file from the library's website is a regular download, but you need Adobe Digital Editions to actually download the DRMed ePub file and view it.

Last edited by BinaryTB; 04-14-2009 at 08:10 AM.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
They are readable on the Kindle if you remove the Adept DRM. This is definitely in violation of your ToS and likely illegal. If you do decide that's ok by you, I hope you decide to respect the library and delete the book when you're done. At the very least, please don't distribute it. Sorry for the mini lecture but I'd feel bad if I didn't include that.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Actually, my library is the BPL.

To date, they carried mostly PDF but I would find an occasional mobi to supplement the books I bought. Even the pdf offerings were sparse except for romance.
I was pleasantly surprised last night to find a lot of recent books and ones that I actually would buy if not offered. I felt like I'd hit the jackpot. It was only after I downloaded a few that I realized they were ePub.

Thanks to google and sites like this, I know about scripts. That was fun exploringw when my reader was new, but now I just want to spend time reading…not converting, not figuring out what to do with the latest format, etc…

I came very close to buying a used Sony last night but decided that if I needed multiple readers, I was going back to paper.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My library is the BPL as well. I have requested eBooks from the library. It's nice to know if an ePub editions exists, I can request them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last night I discovered my own local Library, LAPL (Los Angeles Public Library), uses a service called "NetLibrary" which seems to be built around the Sony Reader and ADE. They will even sell Sony Readers and a collection of books in a particular genre, to Libraries to loan out to patrons.

Quote:
Sony Reader Mobile Collections

Introducing Five New eBook Collections for Readers on the Move

Now your eBook users can enjoy their favorite bestsellers, page-turning mysteries, young adult titles and more on the Sony Reader PRS-505. With pricing starting at only $500, these Mobile Collections come with everything you need to get started, including the Sony Reader Digital Book, a collection of quality titles from leading publishers, and all required licenses.

<snip>

How it Works

Once you have purchased a Sony Mobile collection, you can make the Sony Reader available to your library's users for on-site or off-site circulation. Using your PC, simply download a mobile collection title or titles from the NetLibrary site and transfer to the Sony Reader. It's that easy. You can also purchase additional Sony Readers from OCLC at a preferred price.

The Collections

The standard Mobile Collection comes with one copy of each title available exclusively for use with the Sony Reader, and includes the Sony Reader PRS-505 and the required Adobe license to download content. The Mobile Collection Plus includes two copies of each title, one set of titles for use with the Sony Reader and one set for standard online use, in addition to the Sony Reader PRS-505 and the Adobe license.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Last night I discovered my own local Library, LAPL (Los Angeles Public Library), uses a service called "NetLibrary" which seems to be built around the Sony Reader and ADE. They will even sell Sony Readers and a collection of books in a particular genre, to Libraries to loan out to patrons.
Huh? As far as I know, LAPL is Overdrive-based...
http://e-media.lapl.org/en/default.htm

Checked the NetLibrary link and couldn't find any mention of LAPL.

EDIT:
Interesting. Checked out the LAPL home page. Looks like NetLibrary e-books is a new development. It wasn't there when I visited a couple of months ago. Must have missed it since I go directly to the e-Media site.

I see you have a Kindle. If you go to the url I posted above, and navigate to the ebooks section, they have a smattering of Mobipocket titles (not as many as ADE PDF, though). I'm just not sure if it's possible to copy to your Kindle since they're DRM'd...

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-14-2009 at 07:59 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Huh? As far as I know, LAPL is Overdrive-based...
http://e-media.lapl.org/en/default.htm

Checked the NetLibrary link and couldn't find any mention of LAPL.

EDIT:
Interesting. Checked out the LAPL home page. Looks like NetLibrary e-books is a new development. It wasn't there when I visited a couple of months ago. Must have missed it since I go directly to the e-Media site.

I see you have a Kindle. If you go to the url I posted above, and navigate to the ebooks section, they have a smattering of Mobipocket titles (not as many as ADE PDF, though). I'm just not sure if it's possible to copy to your Kindle since they're DRM'd...
Thanks ilovejedd! I'm not a really library person, I'm a buy it person. I only learned enough about the the library systems to help teach other Kindle owners how to check out books and KindleFIX them for use on the Kindle (a now defunct section of the Visual Kindle Guide).

Boston made me curious to see if they were going the ePub route as well. I hadn't checked the site for several months myself. I poked around the ebook section a bit to see what they had, then wandered over to the NetLibrary site and found the Sony stuff.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I'm usually a buy it person, too, but our small apartment is already filled with books and DVDs (I actually have several books hidden underneath the couch) so I had to put the brakes on my purchasing. I'd buy ebooks, but I can't seem to stomach paying more for ebooks than what paper books cost. Seriously, if I can buy a hardcover copy of a book for $18, I don't want to pay $25 for the ebook version.

Besides, I also read a lot of trashy romance novels for mindless entertainment. I won't ever read those again so the library's pretty good for that.

By the way, I just checked the NetLibrary site for LAPL, all it had was Project Gutenberg/public domain ebooks. I even tried searching for titles that I have checked out so I know the library has them and those didn't show up in NetLibrary. It seems the NetLibrary site for LAPL is only for direct reading of ebooks via web browser. I guess licensing restrictions would forbid them from making copyrighted ebooks available for everyone simultaneously via NetLibrary.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
arshield
Enthusiast
arshield is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Netlibrary

I have netlibrary for Cobb County GA (outside Atl), as far as I can tell only books you can read are online.
arshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #13
Boston
Fanatic

I primarily buy books...although I never buy a book that is more than the paper version and never more than $9.99. For me the biggest drawback on ebook cost justification is that inability to share when done. I bought my mom a Kindle registered to my account so I primarily buy books that we can share.

I mostly use the BPL elibrary to read books that my mom won't be interested in -or- to try a book that look interesting but not something I would normally buy. So the library has both supplemented and broadened my reading.

If the BPL continues to offer the mix and of ePub books and current titles similar to their first batch, it wouldn't take too long for a used Sony reader to pay for itself.

The tools/scripts are great and I am forever grateful to those who provided and assisted with them...but two of the advantages of the Kindle was convenience and book availability. If my mother didn't have a Kindle, between the latest move by BPL and some of the recent controversial moves by Amazon in this space , I would certainly lean towards buying a Sony if I were in the market for a new eReader.

But for now, the hassle/cost of two eReaders is worth it (for me) to have the best of both worlds.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooon69 View Post
It uses Adobe's Adept DRM I believe. To download the tiny link file from the library's website is a regular download, but you need Adobe Digital Editions to actually download the DRMed ePub file and view it.
Yes, you are correct
Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
By the way, I just checked the NetLibrary site for LAPL, all it had was Project Gutenberg/public domain ebooks. I even tried searching for titles that I have checked out so I know the library has them and those didn't show up in NetLibrary. It seems the NetLibrary site for LAPL is only for direct reading of ebooks via web browser. I guess licensing restrictions would forbid them from making copyrighted ebooks available for everyone simultaneously via NetLibrary.
Hmmm, that's interesting. I only checked for some titles but didn't try to see if I could download anything. Thanks for the update.