Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
adelous
adelous began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
Djvu to ePub - not really working for me

From archive.org I have downloaded the djvu file ( the only one I could read) of this file: http://archive.org/details/TheGoldenLotusVolIII

It is big (almost 22 MB), when I try to convert it via Calibre into EPub, it takes a good while to become a very small one and nothing shows up.

What am I doing wrong?
If anyone can do better as for download and actually read, here is the "big" download" link: http://archive.org/details/TheGoldenLotusVolIII

Last edited by adelous; 12-15-2012 at 08:54 AM.
adelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre's djvu conversion only supports djvu files that have actual text in them, not just scans of pages like that file.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
adelous

I am still lost .. how am I to know what has text in it or not . when I read it via djvu online it as text in it .. ?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelous View Post
I am still lost .. how am I to know what has text in it or not . when I read it via djvu online it as text in it .. ?
Actually what it has is pictures of text rather than the actual text stored in the file! A good sign would be the size of the file. A pure text file will tend to be relatively small, while an image based file would be much larger.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
adelous

I give up - once again .. so none of the files for this book on archive.org is actually downloadable and cannot be read by calibre?
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I give up - once again .. so none of the files for this book on archive.org is actually downloadable and cannot be read by calibre?
I am not sure where on that site you are getting books. Some appear to be part of a (legal) lending program and will be protected by DRM. Calibre can only store those books.
To be legal, you need to use their required viewer.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am not sure where on that site you are getting books. Some appear to be part of a (legal) lending program and will be protected by DRM. Calibre can only store those books.
It is hard for me to believe that you aren't familiar with archive.org. Nothing on this site is part of any lending library nor is it DRM protected.

Quote:
When I go to that page and click on the "All Files: HTTPS" at the bottom of the View the book column I have choices and the RTF and TXT directories have all 400 pages of the book in non-image format. It would be up to you to combine all 400 pages into one RTF or TXT file so you could add it to calibre and convert the book to ePub.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-15-2012 at 09:27 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Berzelius
Connoisseur
Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Paperwhite 2 & Sony PRS-T1
You can convert a djvu file containing images to a pdf file using Irfanview with the djvu plugin installed. Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact details - it was a one off quite a while ago - but you will find all the details buried in this post. And I know it works 'cos it worked for me. Of course, converting a pdf file containing only jpeg images to a text epub file is another story.

Last edited by Berzelius; 12-18-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Berzelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
adelous

Thank you all and sorry for the late reply .. I have now found out how to convert djvu to pdf and is "good" from here:-)
Old 10-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
PrettyCharlie
PrettyCharlie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony (Generic)
Quote:
I have now found out how to convert djvu to pdf and is "good" from here:-)

So... Adelous.... what exactly did you find out? There are others of us who might benefit from knowing. Thx
PrettyCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Don't expect an answer
You Necro-responded to a 2012 post
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyCharlie View Post
So... Adelous.... what exactly did you find out? There are others of us who might benefit from knowing. Thx
Send a PM and ask. You'll have a better chance of getting an answer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
or check the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote