Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #106
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Look at you MR Sticky... Pfft. blatant favouritism.
Bah.... you can even call it hubris if you want, as I've just self-righteously stickied my own thread

(But I do believe that it makes sense).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #107
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
meh. long overdue

top workings.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #108
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Bah.... you can even call it hubris if you want, as I've just self-righteously stickied my own thread
Aha! That's what you've accepted moderator rights for a long time ago! It was a lingering wait for you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
(But I do believe that it makes sense).
Of course, it does make sense now.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #109
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Aha! That's what you've accepted moderator rights for a long time ago! It was a lingering wait for you...

Of course, it does make sense now.
Hehe... yes, of course!

I was only striving for moderator rights - and now I can finally dominate the world (and edit your posts, or even delete them, if I want to!!!)

Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #110
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay... User experience...

Got Demo K4.

Battery Flat as a fart. Attached to Kubrick.
Checked it WAS detected... obviously it never entered FASTBOOT mode.
but it detected it.

Stuck on Wall charger. Left till Green.

Back to Kubrick (boot CD version)
follow instructions.

10 mins later done.

Thanks mate
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #111
ixtab
(offline)

@twobob: good to hear that it works smoothly - and hey, thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated
Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #112
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I was excited to give this a try. Unfortunately, my subject was not the best -- it was like doing heart transplant surgery on a patient who'd been dead for a week. I received a bricked Kindle 3 from a friend. As soon as I saw it, I was doubtful that it could be resurrected. The screen is frozen on the last page he'd read, except it is a negative image -- white type on black. Perfectly legible, so it is not a cracked or obviously broken screen. I opened it up, and checked connections, and put in a fully charged battery. Nothing. Second bad sign: 3 tiny screws where rattling around unscrewed. I found their homes, and put them back, unplugged and replugged all cables, etc. Still no change in the screen, although hard restart showed the normal flashing charge light (green).

Booted my computer from Kubrick CD. Ran through all steps successfully, but at the very last screen I got this:

mounting tmpfs on / failed: Device of resource busy (fail)

I guess that means it is not just the screen? Any ideas?

What a beautiful tool!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #113
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Booted my computer from Kubrick CD. Ran through all steps successfully, but at the very last screen I got this:

mounting tmpfs on / failed: Device of resource busy (fail)

I guess that means it is not just the screen? Any ideas?
What do you mean by "very last screen"? The one where you shut down your computer? If so, as stated in the README, you can ignore that message and simply turn off the computer.

And if you got to that point, the K3 is actually functional (well, at least it was functional enough to flash itself), so just reboot it. If you still don't see anything happening, then yes, there's something wrong with the screen.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #114
twobob

^--- I have done something much similar to this (with another tool) only to find the kindle is happily flashed and "working" and no screen output.

reboot. see if it lives. The Kindle I am thinking of did not live (broken screen)

perhaps you will be luckier.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #115
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ixtab: Oops! Your README does state to ignore that last failure message. Well, I ran it through the whole process twice with the same result. It seems the screen is buggered. I'll look for a parts Kindle 3 and try replacing it.

Thanks so much for the tool.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #116
twobob

Quote:
ixtab: Oops! Your README does state to ignore that last failure message. Well, I ran it through the whole process twice with the same result. It seems the screen is buggered. I'll look for a parts Kindle 3 and try replacing it.

Thanks so much for the tool.
GAH! I am thinking "someone sat on it."

doh. tough one mate. GL on the fixup
Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #117
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
GAH! I am thinking "someone sat on it."
And killed it with a fart! The damage is invisible. Oh, well invisible shit happens.

Thanks for the good wishes. If the screens weren't so damned expensive, I'd buy one just for the fun of replacing it...
Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #118
twobob

Quote:
And killed it with a fart! The damage is invisible. Oh, well invisible shit happens.

Thanks for the good wishes. If the screens weren't so damned expensive, I'd buy one just for the fun of replacing it...
are you UK?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #119
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
are you UK?
Nope. I'm just barely OK. I'm in Canada. You're going to tell me where I can get good deals on screens in the UK, but not in Canada, right?

I went ahead an ordered a screen for $49 from here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genui...689317298.html

It is worth it to me. The Kindle belongs to an elderly man who needs an ereader to read -- he must use very large type, as his retinas are damaged. Sure, one can buy a cheaper model, but the K3 has a changeable battery and free 3G, etc. Plus, he has a nice leather cover for K3. I gave him another K3 (debricked with the aid of folks here) to keep in exchange for his with broken screen.

Last edited by montalex; 03-01-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: ordered screen
Old 03-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #120
twobob

I have a contact in the UK was all.. Always happy to "point people at each other" when I can.

hope you get it sorted buddy