Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-27-2014, 04:58 AM   #1
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Backlist conversion slowing down?

A year or two ago it seemed that there were some of my old favorites converted to ebooks every week. Lately I'm lucky to find any in any given month. Why the slowdown? Could all the easily reacheable authors already had their books converted or could it be problems with estates? A lot of the books I want are from deceased authors: Heron Carvic, David Eddings, Louise Cooper. Other delays like the RiddleMaster by McKillip, or the Blue Sword and Hero and the Crown by McKinley or the Harper Hall triology by McCaffrey I can't explain at all.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What country are you in? The "Harper Hall" books by McCaffrey are available in both the US and UK.

Eg "Dragonsinger" Amazon US Amazon UK

The whole of Eddings' work is available in ebook form in the UK.

It really helps to answer this type of question if you put the country you're in in your profile.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-27-2014 at 05:12 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2014, 05:38 AM   #3
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What country are you in? The "Harper Hall" books by McCaffrey are available in both the US and UK.

Eg "Dragonsinger" Amazon US Amazon UK

It really helps to answer this type of question if you put the country you're in in your profile.
I'm in the US. Dragonsinger is listed but not buyable with pricing not available here. Hopefully that means it's in process.

I've been eyeing the UK Eddings books but have delayed getting a fake UK account in the hopes that whatever is causing the delay will eventually be resolved. I'd really rather have it on my primary account. But whatever is keeping them?
Old 03-27-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I'm in the US. Dragonsinger is listed but not buyable with pricing not available here. Hopefully that means it's in process.
That's strange. When I look at it, logged into my "I'm visiting the US" account on amazon.com, I see a price of $6.59, and it's available to buy. It says it was released on July 31, 2012. I do remember that it came out some time after the rest of the Pern books.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:25 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
That's strange. When I look at it, logged into my "I'm visiting the US" account on amazon.com, I see a price of $6.59, and it's available to buy. It says it was released on July 31, 2012. I do remember that it came out some time after the rest of the Pern books.
Hmm...I don't see it available as a Kindle book either. Harry, I'm curious--who does it show as the publisher when you look at it logged in to your "I'm visiting the US" account?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2014, 06:28 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I see:

File Size: 453 KB
Print Length: 288 pages
Publisher: Transworld Digital; New Ed edition (July 31, 2012)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Language: English
ASIN: B008FY4EL4
Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
Not Enabled
Lending: Not Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #211,045 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Old 03-27-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Start reading Dragonsinger: Harper Of Pern (The Dragon Books) on your Kindle in under a minute. This title is not currently available for purchase
Both sentences on the same page and it is kind of contradictory to me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post

I've been eyeing the UK Eddings books but have delayed getting a fake UK account in the hopes that whatever is causing the delay will eventually be resolved. I'd really rather have it on my primary account. But whatever is keeping them?

This Kindle edition is shown (for me) as not being available as a choice in ebook format from the U.S. (I have a U.S. account.)

I've noticed this before: that a book will be listed as a Kindle title, but not available, and in the same scenario listed above.

When I go to Amazon.UK - then it's available.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
crossi
Guru

That happens a lot with Transworld Digital. This book http://www.amazon.com/Pawn-Of-Prophe.../dp/B0038AUYN2 which you can find by Googling has a kindle version that you can even "Look Inside" but says not currently available for purchase. It's rather confusing. Why list it if it is not for sale? If you go directly to Amazon (US) and search for it it it isn't listed at all in kindle books.

Last edited by crossi; 03-27-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Very odd indeed. I wonder if somehow Amazon still knows I'm from the UK, where the book is available?
Old 03-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Very odd indeed. I wonder if somehow Amazon still knows I'm from the UK, where the book is available?
I've had something like this before. I thought I was checking a US book but really it was giving me the UK price shown in $.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
If you are not using a VPN then your IP address identifies you as coming from the U.K.. Could that be it?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #13
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
My guess is yes, as I have a parallel experience from Canada. I used to be able to buy anything, but no longer. My email account isn't noticeably Canadian...
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
But sadly, they are not available in the US. I would buy the whole set immediately if they were available.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Yes, and the other 2 books of the Harper Hall trilogy arent' available at all. The second one has an Audible edition, but I'm not interested in those. Perhaps the "not available" entry means that possibly they are coming? One can but hope. I really want these in Kindle format.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote